Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmflan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2007, 07:35 PM
    Tiling formica backsplash
    What modifications do I need to make to install ceramic tile on a formica backsplash? Can I simply "rough-up" the formica with coarse sandpaper? OR Is installing cement board onto the formica the best approach? OR Is there another method better or the only way?

Thanks
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Oct 2, 2007, 07:21 PM
    If it were my job I would just pull the formica off the wall, it will pull some of the paper off the sheetrock but not enough to damage the surface to where you couldn't install the tile. Other than that scuffing it up would be you only other option, id use 60grit and go to town on it, make sure all the dust is off the wall before you start tiling, as for cement board,, I wouldn't for this, if it was a tub surround OK but its really not needed
    pergammano Posts: 82, Reputation: 8

Oct 8, 2007, 05:30 AM
    In my province, B.C. that type of installation does not meet building code. I would remove formica, install hardibacker, paint with membrane & use thinset. You will avoid a lot of down the road problems, like bonding on Formica breaking down.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2007, 09:52 PM
    TMflan - Back in the 60's&70's we used to use what was called (SIZE) you painted it on with a brush on formica and then you could paint, hang wall paper, what ever and I never seen anything come loose. I don't know even if they still make it, you used to buy it at lumber yards, paint stores . Anything that always worked real good ,they would stop making it ,so you'd have pay larger prices. Check at Lowe's, home depot if you have them, or a paint store. I think I'll find out the next time I go to lowes:: GOOD LUCK F.B.E. Galvine has a good answer though:::::::

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing backsplash on fibreglass sink [ 1 Answers ]

I installed a fibreglass sink on top of a vanity and now I need to attach the 2 pieces of backsplash (also fibreglass), one on each side of the countertop. What sort of adhesive do I use and do I use adhesive where the backsplash touches the sidewall or just where it touches the countertop?

Plexiglass Backsplash for stove area [ 1 Answers ]

I want to create a glow in the dark backsplash for my stovetop. Any ideas of what paint to use. I would also like it to be embossed in areas. Maybe a combination of paints?

Mosaic on formica? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to do a mosaic on my bath room counter which is formica. Will the mud base used for tile stick to formica? Is there an alternative or is it a lost cause?:confused:

Tile over formica? [ 6 Answers ]

Help - I am trying to make a silk purse out of a pigs ear. Can I install tile over sound kitchen counter formica ?

View more questions Search