Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jerricarrott Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2007, 09:40 AM
    Collecting double rent in Virginia
    Can a landlord collect double rent in the state of Virginia. Example: We broke our lease, gave a 60 day notice and agreed to forfeit our security deposit. Our rent was paid until the end of the month, however we moved out on the 17th, so the new tentent's could move in on the 24th. We did not turn off the utlities until the 24th.

The landlord does not think that they have to return the rent we paid from the 24th through the 31st of August. I believe it is the law in Virginia (and most states) that the landlord can not collect double rent.

Who is right?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2007, 09:45 AM
    Since your rent was paid up the security deposit should be used for any itemized damages the landlord might deduct (place left filthy, needed painted, needed new rugs, etc... )
    I am assuming you are saying you broke your lease for the month your lease was up. Otherwise, it depends how it was written in your lease.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Sep 29, 2007, 06:36 PM
    I'm sure your landlord is saying you are not getting any money back for other fees - such as ad costs, make ready maintenance issues - you should not be concerned for 6 days rent as your landlord seems to have issues with how you left the property.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pay Rent or Quit in Virginia [ 2 Answers ]

Can a pay rent or quit form be delivered by registered mail in VA or must it be served?

Ever get tired of collecting what you have been collecting? [ 14 Answers ]

I know a lot of people with collections, from baseball cards, bunnies, pins, hats and so on. Well my question is, does anyone ever just completely stop collecting what they have been collecting for many years cause they are bored of it? I collect chickens and roosters, around 200 or so now. They...

Can my landlord collect double rent [ 3 Answers ]

My lease expires the end of this month, but we are leaving the 13th. Are we entitled to some of that rent back if they rent it before the end of the month? Also, how many days notice do you have to give to vacate in So carolina if your lease is up anyhow?

Double Combo vs Double Tee [ 24 Answers ]

Hi All, The drains of my two storey home drain to one point at my basement ceiling, and then vertically to the basement floor via a 3" DWV pipe to a 4" sanitary tee that horizontally provides 1) a clean-out and 2) drain to the septic out the foundation wall. The center-line of the 4" sanitary is...

View more questions Search