Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DUC Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2007, 08:16 PM
    Sewer gas from basement drain
    I can smell sewer gas when washing machine empties into basement drain. I cannot smell sewer gas otherwise. What would cause this?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 29, 2007, 07:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DUC
    I can smell sewer gas when washing machine empties into basement drain. I cannot smell sewer gas otherwise. What would cause this?
    What you're smelling is a bubble of sewer gas that's being forced back through the trap when the washer discharge hits a partial blockage and bounces back sending a bubble ahead of it.
    The solution would be to snake the drain line. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer Gas smell coming from Kitchen drain [ 4 Answers ]

I am having problem with a smell coming from the Kitchen drain. I checked all drains in the house and the only one that as an odor is in the Kitchen. I have poured Drano and Vinegar down the drain but no results. Please Help.

Sewer gas - did I hook up to main sewer line correctly? [ 3 Answers ]

Moved a mobile home in and ran the sewer line to the main line - on some days I smell sewer gas, and I think it's coming from the vents on the house! - I want to know if I should o had put a "P" trap or something in line before hooking up to main sewer line? I have seen other places saying to...

Basement drain to sewer - how best to fill it in? [ 4 Answers ]

I have an unfinished basement. The walls and floors of the basement are concrete. I have a drain in the basement floor that feeds directly into the sewer. I know that my sewer line runs below the level of the basement (Roto Rooter has been a frequent visitor) to the main city sewer line in the...

Sewer Gas smell in the basement [ 2 Answers ]

There is a foul sewer-gas smell that is originating in our basement crawl-space. The smell is strongest in the laundry room where the entrance to the crawl-space is located, and has permeated the entire house. We experienced this problem last year but it only lasted a day or two and was confined...

View more questions Search