Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anegada Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2007, 05:47 PM
    Under Stainless Steel Sink Insulation Smell
    I just had my kitchen redon a couple weeks back and realized that the insulation under the sink smells something like burnt plastic. Is this normal and is there a recommended way of getting rid of this smell?
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2007, 05:17 AM
    Did the plumber heat pipes to install the new sink? If so he probably got a little heat on some of the backing board(plaster,insulation,etc) and this will not last too long(in my opinion)

Open the doors to the sink base,place a fan there and run it for a day or so,letting air in to dry all the old"musty"air out,then something like Arm and Hammer baking soda (just like you would use in a fridge) hidden in the back.

If this doesn't work let us know,there are cleaning companies in here with more advice for you,
    Ken

Oct 1, 2007, 05:30 AM
    Not sure if the plumber heated the pipes, but that sounds likely given the smell. So I did as you said and although the smell seems to be getting a bit better after 24 hours of running the fan with baking soda the smell is still there. Are there any other suggestions?
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2007, 06:08 AM
    Any openings that could be closed off and sealed to eliminate the escaping smell?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 1, 2007, 08:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by anegada
    I just had my kitchen redon a couple weeks back and realized that the insulation under the sink smells something like burnt plastic. Is this normal and is there a recommended way of getting rid of this smell?
    Have you scrbbed the insulation down with full strength bleach?

Jun 16, 2008, 01:58 PM
    I have tried all of the above and the smell is still there. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
    seekmocha Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2010, 09:57 PM
    It's probably coming from the sound absorbing pads glued on the underside of the sink. A number of sinks from different manufacturers have this problem. I would describe the smell as "creosote" or the smell of roofing tar. It never goes away. Manufacturers recommend scraping off the pads with a razor blade scraper, and removing the adhesive with Goo-Gone. The manufacturer may send you self adhesive cork pads as a replacement.

Unfortunately, working under the sink to remove all the pads can be very difficult, especially where some of the pads are on the sides of the sink with very little clearance.

Some folks have advocated spraying the entire sides and bottom of the sink with several coats of Zinnser Bulls Eye Shellac, which supposedly can seal in the odor. Clear or Amber Shellac is thin enough so you could spray it with a pump-up garden sprayer. The advantage to that is the long angled nozzle of the garden sprayer might enable you to sneak up into the side wall crevices and spray the sides of the sink. Shellac dries fast enough that you can spray additional coats, once every 45 minutes. Spray at least 3 coats. However, shellac does have a highly intoxicating odor and explosive fumes. Use a good organics filtering mask and lots of ventilation. The good news is that the shellac odor will disappear rapidly. Having said all that, I haven't tried it myself, yet.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 14, 2010, 06:15 AM

Seekmocha, Welcome to AMHD!
    Look in the upper left hand corner for the date of the post. You're responding to a old dead thread.
    Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

STAINless? Steel cleaning [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. I just had my kitchen completely redone and I think it looks nice. I am now trying to keep it clean but, I got to tell you, I purchased a couple of stainless steel appliances, the microwave and the refrigerator and I am finding it nearly impossible to keep the surfaces clean. No sooner do...

How to restore finish to stainless steel appliances? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, folks - Wondering if anybody out there has any good ideas on how to restore the finish to the surface of a stainless steel appliance. I have a new stainless steel trash compactor under a butcher block counter. We had the countertop refinished, and unfortunately the person who did it wasn't...

Laminate stainless steel countertops [ 1 Answers ]

Anybody ever seen laminate stainless steel countertops? Do they look good? Or can you tell it's fake?

View more questions Search