Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andreyanobles Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2007, 10:41 AM
    Pet Deposit
    Hello,

I have a tenant that is moving out of my rental home and I charged her a pet deposit of $500.00 The lease states, "Tenant shall pay to Landlord a pet deposit of $500.00, of which shall be non-refundable and shall be used upon the termination or expiration of this Agreement for the purpose of cleaning the carpets of the building."

If my tenant cleaned the home and had the carpets cleaned, does my Agreement/Lease still holds that the pet deposit is non-refundable, or by law, am I required to give her back the pet deposit?

Thanks,

Andreya
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2007, 10:53 AM
    You have technically conflicting info in the agreement. In the future, remove saying what it will be used for.

If it were me I would refund her what you did not have to use for your stated purpose, however I do believe that you have a legal right to not refund it since you did state that it is non-refundable.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 28, 2007, 11:11 AM
    The question in my mind is two fold. One did the tenant state they would pay for the cleaning before moving out and do you know for a fact that they did have it done.

If they said they would do it and you said go ahead, then I would think that, at least ethically, you should return the deposit. But, if they are saying that they had it done AFTERWARDS, then you are under no such obligation.

I would also agree with Rick to remove such specific language from the lease.
    andreyanobles Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2007, 11:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    The question in my mind is two fold. One did the tenant state they would pay for the cleaning before moving out and do you know for a fact that they did have it done.

If they said they would do it and you said go ahead, then I would think that, at least ethically, you should return the deposit. But, if they are saying that they had it done AFTERWARDS, then you are under no such obligation.

I would also agree with Rick to remove such specific language from the lease.
    I will remove this language from future agreements. The tenant did state that she would be cleaning the home and having the carpets cleaned. I would think this is a normal process to do, especially when wanting to receive their initial security deposit refund. I now live in Georgia and my rental property is in California. I am sending a representative, who lives in California, to do the final inspection, so I guess I will have to see if the person I'm sending to do the inspection reports any damages, and/or odors and go from there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deposit Increase for Pet [ 4 Answers ]

My fiancé and I rent a unit on a month-to-month lease. I was given a very beautiful puppy for my birthday by my fiancé. We had previously spoken to our property managers regarding possibly getting a pet "one day" and they said their new leases now allowed for small dogs - we have not seen or signed...

Pet deposit [ 9 Answers ]

My family and I are entending to rent a house in California and the owner wants a $1000.00 pet deposit. Is that the right dollar amount for a pet deposit? It seems kind of high to us. What is the law regarding a pet deposit in California? Thanks lilbitof3

Pet Deposit [ 3 Answers ]

I have recently moved out from an apartment in Washington state. I had $100 refundable security deposit and $150 refundable pet deposit. I got a notice from my landlord saying that "Damage charges extra clean/paint/carpet" cost me 250$. I lived on the premised for 2 years. I know the carpet...

How much of my deposit can be used for pet damage? [ 2 Answers ]

I rent in California and have been renting from the same person for the past four years. We have a deposit on our place, however, nothing was stipulated as to being, "pet" deposit. So if my dog has killed strips of grass from continued trampling, can she lay down new sod, and charge me for it? ...

Pet deposit/fee [ 1 Answers ]

As a landlord in New Hamphire how much am I able to ask for a pet security deposit/fee? I know I can ask up to as much as the rent for a security deposit but how much for a Pet fee/deposit?

View more questions Search