Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thehomeport Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2007, 12:01 PM
    Territorial View Blocked by Growing Fruit Trees
    My beautiful 20+ year view is now being blocked by some fruit trees that new home owners are permitting to grow too tall. The trees have historically been trimmed to about ten to fifteen feet in height and were planted by previously home owners several years after I purchased my home. The past few years, the new owners, who purchased in 2002, have permitted them to grow above their homes ridgeline, and they are not at least ten feet taller than their roof.

Any relief? They don't want to trim them lower.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2007, 05:43 PM
    In most cases, nope. You have no right to a view, and as long as the trees are growing in your neighbor's yard, they have every right to let them get as tall as they please. You can trim anything that grows into your yard, but that's not going to help much in this case.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2007, 05:52 PM
    You said historically trimmed. Is that per a city ordinance or was it the previous home owners preference? You can check your city forestry department or public works department and ask about this. If there is something in writing about how tall the trees are allowed to grow, you have a leg to stand on. Also check your home owner's insurance and find out who would be responsible if there was any damages done to your property due to one of your neighbor's trees, should something happen.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 27, 2007, 06:10 PM
    Sorry, no unless there is a law on shrub or tree height, you are just out of luck. This is common when people are used to a good view, and someone builds a house on the lot, They could be buiding a two story building there, you have no control over their property.

Have you offered to pay for the tree trimming and perhaps a little extra for their trouble, I have found money often helps people decide things

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I get around my school blocked sites? They even got proxy sites blocked. [ 1 Answers ]

How can I get around my school blocked sites. They even got our proxy sites blocked> is their any other way?

Neighbor Trees Eliminating View [ 5 Answers ]

My property in a slight hillside allowing me a wonderful view of the expansive ridge directly in the backyard of my home. My neighbors in the back are a bit below me in that I cannot easily see much except their roofs. Birds have planted trees on my neighbor's property and they are taking away...

Growing Trees [ 6 Answers ]

I have just received Three new trees. Two blue Spruce and a Silver Maple. All are about 2 foot high (includes roots), question is, should I plant them right into the ground now or plant them in a pot and let them mature a little bit (and if so, how long)? Thanks for the time.:)

Protective and Territorial German Sheperds [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have 2 German Sheperds, Romey 3, and Scar 7 mo. I had many problems with Romey and aggression, whether it be towards other dogs on walks, at the vet and in front of my home, although I did work with him a lot from very young I failed to socialize him enough. Now at 3 yrs I think he has calmed...

View more questions Search