Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    icandoit Posts: 46, Reputation: 2

Oct 3, 2005, 11:44 PM
    Removing old tiles from cement floor
    Anybody have a secret for removing the black adhesive left on a cement floor after removing old vinyl tiles?

Maybe I should be asking whether I actually need to remove the adhesive. Right now the plan is to use 12" ceramic tiles for the new floor.

In fact, now that I think about it I'm really not sure what prep is required to place the ceramic tiles on a slab floor. Should I use cement backerboard?

Thanks... RC
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2005, 03:55 AM
    I can't speak to removing the black stuff, but as for a base; in my area we use lauan as the base for tile... but note that it is not recommended in some areas.

Yes, you'll put something down first - to apply the ceramic... and you can be the judge of how much of the old black glue to remove based on how much it makes your lauan stick up.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2005, 10:28 AM
    Perhaps use a torch to soften the biggest lumps of glue and scrape them off. Anything sticking up in the middle of a tile, could cause it to crack under load. You may want to be a little extra generous with the cement for it assuring uniform support for each tile. Ceramic tile has very little give. You may want to fill low areas with floor leveler.

I don't have that much experience with tile, but I don't remember seeing luan over concrete. Not sure how you would fasten it down. I would be concerned about it drawing damp and delaminating or even rotting. It is not quite his area, but perhaps check with Tom (Speedball1) in plumbing.
    Flickit Posts: 278, Reputation: 2

Oct 4, 2005, 10:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Perhaps use a torch to soften the biggest lumps of glue and scrape them off. Anything sticking up in the middle of a tile, could cause it to crack under load. You may want to be a little extra generous with the cement for it assuring uniform support for each tile. Ceramic tile has very little give. You may want to fill low areas with floor leveler.

I don't have that much experience with tile, but I don't remember seeing luan over concrete. Not sure how you would fasten it down. I would be concerned about it drawing damp and delaminating or even rotting. It is not quite his area, but perhaps check with Tom (Speedball1) in plumbing.
    You don't need cement backer board as you already have concrete as the substrate. Start by sealing any cracks and then use thinset as the base right before you apply the ceramic tile.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2005, 11:37 AM
    Thanks, labman, you may saved me from misleading.

Oct 5, 2005, 02:27 AM
    Thanks guys. Looks like I have a fair amount of physical labor in store for me in order to prep this floor for the tile. Fortunately, the floor is fairly level and flat, so all I will need to do is remove the old tiles and glue to expose the concrete surface for the thinset to bond to.

Has anybody ever worked with this Ditra? It looks like a pretty decent product to use for longevity of ceramic tiles... to keep them from cracking. I think I will do a little more research on this stuff, but right now I'm leaning that way on using it. Guess I will still need to remove the old glue prior to installing it.

RC
    Flickit Posts: 278, Reputation: 2

Oct 5, 2005, 05:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by icandoit
    Thanks guys. Looks like I have a fair amount of physical labor in store for me in order to prep this floor for the tile. Fortunately, the floor is fairly level and flat, so all I will need to do is remove the old tiles and glue to expose the concrete surface for the thinset to bond to.

Has anybody ever worked with this Ditra? It looks like a pretty decent product to use for longevity of ceramic tiles...to keep them from cracking. I think I will do a little more research on this stuff, but right now I'm leaning that way on using it. Guess I will still need to remove the old glue prior to installing it.

RC
    Sounds like a real plus when used for applying tiles to a concrete substrate. Compensates for the moody behavior of concrete with time/temp. Is it costly? This seems useless when used on a floor with a wood substrate. Is it readily available?

Oct 5, 2005, 10:35 AM
    Is it costly? Is it readily available?
    Two excellent questions, which I must find the answers to.
    JDJinTX Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2005, 08:01 AM
    I'm helping a friend with a similar project, and removing the previous adhesive is difficult/impossible. Did you finally find a mastic that could be installed over the adhesive, or did you find a way to completely remove the dried adhesive that was left on the concerete?

Thanks in advance.

JD

Oct 25, 2005, 10:43 AM
    Well, I found out that you can't put the thinset on top of the old mastic. At least, it's not advised. I guess you could but it would be risky since the thinset wouldn't adhere well to the mastic.

So, I've been slowly removing the old mastic. The best method I've found so far is a torch and a razor scraper. It's going to be a lot of work, but nothing else I've found works any better. I tried the boiling water trick but it didn't work all that good. There is a stripper made by Jasco that will disolve the mastic but it makes a big mess and it's not recommended as the dissolved solution will seep deep into the concrete and you will never get it out.

Good luck.
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Oct 25, 2005, 01:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by icandoit
    Well, I found out that you can't put the thinset on top of the old mastic. At least, it's not advised. I guess you could but it would be risky since the thinset wouldn't adhere well to the mastic.

So, I've been slowly removing the old mastic. The best method I've found so far is a torch and a razor scraper. It's going to be a lot of work, but nothing else I've found works any better. I tried the boiling water trick but it didn't work all that good. There is a stripper made by Jasco that will disolve the mastic but it makes a big mess and it's not recommended as the disolved solution will seep deep into the concrete and you will never get it out.

Good luck.
    how about trying removing it with a hot ironer and thin metal plate ( heavy duty aluminum foil may be the best to use; since you already remove the tile)... I swa company remove this kind of tile with something simliar to a hot ironer and they wipe off the residue off with chemical... those black glue do contain asbesto
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2005, 01:40 PM
    The iron sounds like a good idea. Maybe try blotting paper as well as the foil.

Oct 26, 2005, 01:58 AM
    Interesting ideas. I will have to give them a try.

Thanks guys.
    Chelsie888 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2011, 03:24 PM
    I found using WD-40 and Bounce sheets made the job a lot easier. I just sprayed some WD-40 on the area to work on and started rubbing it into the black adhesive with a used or ununsed (doesn't matter which) Bounce sheet and without much effort the adhesive came right off. I wipe away the liquefied adhesive with a rag and started the next area.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower on cement floor [ 5 Answers ]

I want to add a shower to our basement, the plumbing is not there. How do I put the shower plumbing in? Do I have to cut into the main pipe for the shower? Do I have to cut into the cement, or can the plumbing be installed above the cement? Thanks

Removing cement Mastic [ 6 Answers ]

I have removed tile from a cement floor. On the surface of the floor is the cement mastic that held the tile. How do I remove it? I really don't want to spend the next three weeks chiseling it off. Is there another way that is not so time consuming? The mastic is really bonded directly to the...

Removing cement from glass [ 2 Answers ]

Does anybody know how to remove splashes of cement from glass without scratching the glass.

Floor Tiles [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, My home is over 5 years old and I would like to install floor tiles, so, my question is, what do I have to do to the old concrete floor before I install the tiles. Thank you, Rhondine

View more questions Search