Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    username21 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2005, 06:09 PM
    Tax rates for F1 OPT Vs H1
    I am right now on F1 and might switch to OPT or H1 in January. Also, I am getting married in December or January to a permanent resident.

1. What are the tax rates I may have to pay if I am on OPT and on a H1? It's hard for me to stay on OPT because I have to study part time for one semester and the OPT will let me work only part time. I live in Pennsylvania.

2. My fiancé is planning to give up his "green card" and re apply again with me so that both of us can be on green card together. How hard or easy is it to get a second green card after abandoning the first one?
    username21 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2005, 06:21 PM
    I missed this out in the previous post.

Since I am getting married in December or January will I be filing tax jointly with the husband? What is the rate in that case?

If I become a permanent resident around January of a year and was on OPT before that, will I have to file taxes for the OPT status or the permanent resident status that April?

If I am a permanent resident and am filing taxes jointly, is the tax rate different than being on a H1 and filing tax alone?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 4, 2005, 07:58 AM
    UserName21:

1) Your income tax rates filing as a non-resident alien (OPT) are the same as filing as a resident alien (H-1). The only difference is that filing as a non-resident alien may restrict your option as to whether you can claim the standard deduction or not. It also restricts how many itemized deductions you can claim. If you get married in December 2005, you have the option of filing jointly with your husband as a resident alien or filing separately as a non-resident alien. I cannot say whether you will pay more taxes as a resident alien (filing jointly with your husband) or as a non-resident alien (filing separately). I recommend you prepare the return both ways. However, once you file as a resident alien, it more or less commits you to file that way for all future returns (though you can change your mind by amending the return).

2) I cannot comment of green card application procedures. It is beyond my area of expertise.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Your Water Rates [ 4 Answers ]

Sorry if this is not the right forum for this question. I live in Roseville Mich. A suburb of Detroit and Detroit is our water provider.Detroit is now in financial straights.They are passing on their problems to the people that they Provide water to! Michigan is in the center of one of the...

Looking for reasonable rates [ 1 Answers ]

Does any one know if delta airlines has any cheap rates from tucson to rapid city. Leave on March 25 - Return April 25 looking for a price around $250 round trip Thanks Billy:)

Comparing interest rates [ 1 Answers ]

CaptianForest, how did you come up with 8.6 semiannually is better. Per the question: Semiannually 8.6; pv = 100; pmt = 0; FV = 100 with my calculation Annual 8.4; pv = 100; pmt = 0 ; FV = 100

View more questions Search