Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cybele Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2007, 01:23 PM
    Sewer smell from washer after 24-hour soak
    Our washer lid switch is going out, and sometimes, if I do not snap the lid shut firmly enough, the washer will stop at the end of the wash cycle. I've been a bit stressed out and scattered lately (we are moving to another state soon), and twice in the last few weeks I have forgotten to move my laundry into the dryer. Because it was actually still soaking, it sat soaking for a good 24 hours. Both times, when I opened the lid a strong sewer smell rose up and filled the laundry room. The second time, after I finished the cycle, I noticed a quarter in the wash that had tarnished to the color of copper!

So, unlike other previous posts with similar problems (sewer smell from drains when draining water is involved), in this case, no draining of water was involved. The water was just sitting there. Could it be that the full washer somehow created a suction that pulled the water up out of the trap into the washer, or flushed it out to the sewer? We have had a similar problem with the never-used sink in that room. I have to run some water into it every now and then because the water in the trap eventually evaporates, and sewer smell comes up into the house.

We are not on septic, use city water, and the house is 4-years old.

Thoughts?

(edited to add words in bold)
    miruton Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Sep 23, 2007, 02:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybele
    Our washer lid switch is going out, and sometimes, if I do not snap the lid shut firmly enough, the washer will stop at the end of the wash cycle. I've been a bit stressed out and scattered lately (we are moving to another state soon), and twice in the last few weeks I have forgotten to move my laundry into the dryer. Because it was actually still soaking, it sat soaking for a good 24 hours. Both times, when I opened the lid a strong sewer smell rose up and filled the laundry room. The second time, after I finished the cycle, I noticed a quarter in the wash that had tarnished to the color of copper!

So, unlike other previous posts with similar problems (sewer smell from drains when draining water is involved), in this case, no draining of water was involved. The water was just sitting there. Could it be that the full washer somehow created a suction that pulled the water up out of the trap into the washer, or flushed it out to the sewer? We have had a similar problem with the never-used sink in that room. I have to run some water into it every now and then because the water in the trap eventually evaporates, and sewer smell comes up into the house.

We are not on septic, use city water, and the house is 4-years old.

Thoughts?

(edited to add words in bold)
    As far as I can remember, when mom used to soak our dirty clothes in the washer over time... it smelled very bad like sewer water.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 23, 2007, 06:01 AM
    twice in the last few weeks I have forgotten to move my laundry into the dryer. Because it was actually still soaking, it sat soaking for a good 24 hours. Both times, when I opened the lid a strong sewer smell rose up and filled the laundry room. The second time, after I finished the cycle, I noticed a quarter in the wash that had tarnished to the color of copper!
    The water in the tub turned sour from setting. However the copper discoloration in the water leads me to believe that this is iron oxide,(rust) from your hot water heater. This happens when you don't flush your water heater on a regular basis. Let me show you how.
    For long life and fewer troubles you should keep your heater clear of mineral build-up by flushing on a regular schedule. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) followed by white or yellow grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). This shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Do this monthly to keep it clear. Now flush out your hot water lines on ALL fixtures that are affected . Now pull each aerator and clean the screens. Be sure you put them back togather the same way you took them out. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it.
    Could it be that the full washer somehow created a suction that pulled the water up out of the trap into the washer, or flushed it out to the sewer?
    No! This can't happen.
    Hope this helps, Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 23, 2007, 10:02 AM
    I don't think you should base much of your problem on the color of the quarter since you have no way of knowing when/where the quarter changed colors. It could have been tarnished for years and just found its way into your washer. Really dirty clothes will smell bad over night so lets talk about why your are doing this. If you add detergent and soak for about an hour you will have achieved all the benefits of soaking. The next 23 hours of soaking aren't needed and cause the smell. Just stop doing the overnight soak, some of that smell is bacteria growing.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 23, 2007, 10:35 AM
    OOPS! My bad! I went back and read that it was a quarter and not the water that was copper colored. Thanks, Bal

Sep 23, 2007, 07:43 PM
    Thanks for the answers everyone!

When my kids were babies, I soaked their cloth diapers overnight in cold water, but the lid was open then in order to stop it from going on to the spin cycle. I don't think I've ever intentionally left anything to soak with the lid closed for such a great amount of time. It does make sense that with all the soap, all the dirt, all the sweat, etc. that washed out of the clothes it was like "sewage." I suppose even graywater can turn to sewage if its biochemical oxygen demand isn't being met. (Shall I tell my kids that their sweat turned into methane?)

Thanks again,
    Lita

p.s. I am pretty sure that quarter was quarter-colored before it ended up in the wash :)

Sep 23, 2007, 09:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    The water in the tub turned sour from setting. However the copper discoloration in the water leads me to believe that this is iron oxide,(rust) from your hot water heater. This happens when you don't flush your water heater on a regular basis. Let me show you how. <snip>
    Thanks, Tom. I will give that a try. Does it still happen with newer water heaters/homes?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

All my toilets smell like a sewer! Sewer backed up? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello all, I have a problem and was hoping for some guidance... lately all of my toilets have been smelling really bad. We have 3 toilets in the house, 2 full baths on the upper level, and a powder room on the main. The main bath on the upper level is the worse of the 3. It doesn't get...

Sewer smell when washing clothes and metal smell in water [ 1 Answers ]

We just moved in a Lease to own house and after one month there is now a smell of sewer when washing clothes. The smell in the water has been here since day one and we are in the process of testing the well water. Can anyone help? I think we have a septic tank since we are on well water but the...

Stinky sewer smell when using washer [ 1 Answers ]

When using washer that drains to a tub there is a stinky sewer smell. I am not sure were it's coming from.

Sewer Smell [ 1 Answers ]

I own a 100 year old house with Radiator Heat, I have noticed that every winter I start to smell sewer gases coming from the basement. I pour water/bleach down the drains in the basement, but it never really takes it away. Do I need to worry about replacing the traps? If so, how expensive...

Sewer smell in kitchen, wood cabinets smell [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a house that had sewer smells in the kitchen probably for years. I found the problem and fixed the pipe. We gutted the kitchen and the smell is still there. The subfloor has an odor. And I am worried the tongue and groove underneath it might smell also. If we pull up the subfloor,...

View more questions Search