Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Marily Posts: 457, Reputation: 51

Sep 20, 2007, 10:12 PM
    Anxiety attacks !
    How can I manage or prevent these attack. My heartbeat would usually raise to 138 beats per min and I felt like I could faint anytime
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2007, 11:56 PM
    You might want to see a doctor if it gets really bad. I know there are prescriptions they can give you to help with this problem. :)
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2007, 12:09 AM
    It's true about the prescriptions being helpful. But, you might not always need them.

I have experienced anxiety attacks all of my adult life. I have learned to cope with them. How you can cope with yours depends on what the trigger for them is. I also know what it feels like to have my heart racing to the extent that I think that I am having a heart attack! Thinking that just adds further to the anxiety!

What are the thoughts, situations or events that trigger your anxiety attacks, please?

Sep 21, 2007, 04:16 AM
    I did went to see a doctor and at that point my heartbeat was 138 bpm , they only help me get my heart rate down which was very difficult to do, I think this might have happened because I was under a lot of stress this year but not anymore I just need to know what I can do to get my heartrate down if this might happened again:)
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2007, 04:42 AM
    ----------------------------------
    To read the whole article.
    http://psychcentral.com/lib/2007/tip...ic-attack?pp=0
    Tips to Cope with a Panic Attack
    By Steve Bressert, Ph.D.
    May 21, 2007
    Understanding Your Body

A panic attack is often a reaction to fear (either conscious or unconscious), and some of the strange physical reactions you experience during one are the result of your body reacting to this fear. Common catalysts of panic attacks include:

Anticipatory anxiety. You become mentally anxious over a past, traumatic event, and your body responds as if it will happen again right away. Catalysts can include photographs, conversations, or anything that triggers the bad memory.

Self-defeating visualization. You may not only picture yourself re-experiencing a traumatic event, but you may also fear losing control of a current situation and not being able to handle it. You interpret the situation as potentially dangerous, and your body secretes adrenaline to prepare for crisis.

Understanding how your body and mind work during these episodes can help you develop a healthier response to frightening situations. Although there are innumerable variations, common reactions to panic include:

Your body goes on alert. Your brain sends a message to your body to protect it against the perceived danger, and your body prepares for the pseudo-emergency. For instance, the eyes may dilate to improve vision, your heart rate quickens to circulate blood faster to vital organs, breathing increases to get more oxygen to the circulating blood, and your muscles tense in case you have to move quickly.

Your mind remains stuck on fearful thoughts. Instead of reacting to either solve the problem or remove yourself from the situation (which you'd likely do in a real emergency), you get stuck on the perceived threat and remain unable to let go of the fear.

Your breathing becomes more rapid. Inhaled oxygen reacts with your cells to produce carbon dioxide, which is then exhaled. During a panic attack, breathing rates increase so your body can absorb oxygen more quickly in preparation for any necessary action. During rapid, heavy breathing (also called hyperventilation), your lungs exhale more carbon dioxide than your cells produce, causing the level of carbon dioxide in your blood and brain to fall. The results (which may include dizziness and heart palpitations) can cause some people to panic further, thereby increasing breathing even more.
    Relax Your Breathing and Muscles

If you feel an attack coming on, simple breathing and relaxation techniques can help you feel more in control. But don't wait until you're having a panic attack to perfect the techniques. Practicing them twice a day for just 10 minutes at a time may make your panic attacks less frequent and easier to conquer.

Relax your breathing. Put one hand on your upper-chest, and the other over your diaphragm (where your rib cage meets your stomach).

Take in a slow, deep breath through your nose while counting to five. The hand on the chest should stay still, while the one over your diaphragm should raise with your breath. This is how you know the breath is deep enough.

When you reach the count of five, let the breath out slowly (through your nose) at the same rate. Concentrating on your hands and the counting will help focus you and calm you down. Continue these breaths until you feel relaxed.

Relax your muscles. Find a comfortable position to sit in (or lie down).

Close your eyes and begin to focus solely on your toes. Curl them under tightly for a count of five, squeezing the muscles together as hard as you can, then relax.

Next, concentrate on your feet. Contract all of their muscles tightly for a count of five, then relax.

Continue up your body, isolating each muscle group (calves, thighs, buttocks, stomach, chest, shoulders, neck, fingers, hands, and arms) all the way up to your face.

By the time you contract and relax your face muscles, you should feel much more calm.

Exercise
    A panic attack can trick you into feeling fatigued, but often the opposite is true. Instead of retreating to your couch or bed, try these activities:

Walking. During a panic attack, it may seem like nothing short of an emergency room will help you. But sometimes the most basic of activities–like a walk through a quiet park, down a street you find relaxing, or anywhere that helps you take your mind off your anxiety–can be the best medicine. Light aerobic exercise also helps your body produce endorphins. And getting fresh air and sunshine can have a positive effect on your overall outlook.

Yoga and stretching. Like deep breathing, these activities can reduce muscle tension and help you regain composure. Lie flat on your back and bring one knee up to your chest. Hold it there for 20 seconds with your hands, while also breathing deeply through your nose. Repeat with the other knee.

Or, stand with your feet a little more than shoudler distance apart and your knees straight. Bend forward from the waist, touching your fingertips to the ground. Hold that pose for 10 seconds, then gently come back to a standing position (being careful not to strain your back). Repeat these stretches as necessary.

Using peripheral vision. Let your field of vision broaden until you can see from the outside corners of your eyes. Breathe deeply and let your jaw muscles relax. This exercise activates the parasympathetic nervous system, which calms your body.
    Confront Your Fear

The more you understand your fear, the better you'll be able to control it. Try writing in a journal before, during, and after a panic attack; record your thoughts, ailments, and worries. When you're feeling better, go back and reread the entry. This can prepare you for another attack (as you'll know what to expect) and can help you look for patterns between attacks. Some other ways to understand your panic include:

Paradoxical intention. The goal of this exercise is to trigger a panic attack and stand up to it, thereby feeling in control of what frightens you. Go into the feared situation with the tools you've learned, and perhaps with a friend for support, and actually dare the attack to happen. This can help you train yourself to not be afraid of the situation, and give you an opportunity to learn from it.

Talk to a therapist. A therapist can help you get to the root(s) of the problem and devise a plan to overcome it. To find a therapist who's right for you, ask for a referral from your doctor.

Join a support group. A therapist, your doctor, or a friend may be able to recommend a support group for sufferers of panic attacks. Group meetings can give you further insight into your situation, as you'll get a chance to hear how others are coping with their problems.

As frightening as it may seem at first, once you start to learn about panic and stand up to it, you'll experience newfound wisdom and freedom–a great first step toward all sorts of new possibilities.
    ----------------------------------------
    To read the rest of the article
    http://www.panic-anxiety.com/anxiety/tips/
    Diversion Tactics
    Here are a few examples of diversion tactics to use whilst having an attack. Practice them, they really work!
    Splash face with cold water - this produces the dive reflex and causes your brain to send messages to your body to slow down
    Distraction - Count down from 100 as fast as you can, repeat over and over. Do maths problems or anything else that occupies your mind
    Listen to your favourite music loudly and sing along to it
    Say to yourself - this has never hurt me, it has never hurt anyone else and it never will. I know what it is and it means nothing - disempower the attack
    Tell yourself that what you are feeling are sensations; nothing more and that sensations never hurt anyone
    Watch a funny video on TV, laugh out loud
    Don't look at yourself in the mirror
    Keep some apples in the fridge. Eat one, then another if you wish
    Gently slap your cheeks and dance around - confuse your thoughts to distract them
    In the night, get out of bed, turn on the TV, get a drink, eat an apple and keep moving
    Talk to someone or phone someone - don't discuss your anxiety
    Do something physical if you can
    Do not sit down! Keep moving

Do any amount of these diversion tactics simultaneously if possible.

The Linden Method was developed for over a decade to show you EXACTLY what you need to do right now in order to redress the imbalance which causes and perpetuates the inappropriate anxiety that you experience every day.

Anxiety is caused and perpetuated by an organ in the brain called the Amygdala. When the Amygdala becomes disrupted it causes us to experience a higher level of anxiety than is appropriate.

By addressing this directly, the Linden Method turns anxiety disorders around, quickly and permanently. All you need to do is implement the method. It's so easy!
    -----------------------------------------------
    Marily,I hope some of this information is helpful... :)

Sep 21, 2007, 05:40 AM
    Thanks a lot firmbeliever ! ;)
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2007, 10:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Marily
    I did went to see a doctor and at that point my heartbeat was 138 bpm , they only help me get my heart rate down which was very difficult to do, i think this might have happend because i was under alot of stress this year but not anymore i just need to know what i can do to get my heartrate down if this might happend again:)
    Jeez, I hope you feel better. What did the doc do to get it down? Just make you sit there while they monitored you?
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Sep 21, 2007, 11:16 AM
    Just a different point of view.

A fast heart rate may not always be due to a panic attack. It may be due to...
    An overactive thyroid,
    Anemia / low blood count,
    Certain asthma inhalers, over the counter decongestants,
    A fast and IRREGULAR heart rate needs to be evaluated,
    It may be a symptom of heart underlying heart disease.

I don't mean to scare you, but other things need to be considered if treatment for panic attacks do not help.

Grace and Peace

Sep 21, 2007, 09:22 PM
    The doctor had to put me to sleep and shocked my heart.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Sep 21, 2007, 09:29 PM
    Cardioverted?

Hope it stays under control now.

Grace and Peace

Sep 21, 2007, 10:26 PM
    Thanks inthebox;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Anxiety attacks? [ 12 Answers ]

(Before this happened I took happened and had my first soft drink in a long time, one doctor said it might have been the caffeine)I was lying in bed, trying to go to sleep, when I felt like my heart was going to stop(think because of the happened it made me a little delusional because my heart beat...

Terrorist attacks [ 5 Answers ]

Do you think a terrorist attack is going to happen soon? Thanks your opinions are greatly appreciated!:)

Depression, anxiety attacks [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have posted in the relationship advice section as well. But wanted to know if anyone could help regarding my main issue of my anxiety attacks. I lived a very scared and un confident child hood, I have gone through a lot of stress to. And just recently because of my relationship problems...

Heart Attacks [ 2 Answers ]

Can you send me a step by step procedure for emergency steps when a person has a heart attack? Thanks.

Thwarted attacks [ 3 Answers ]

Recently someone posted information about MySpace.com being the most popular place for pedophiles to hang out. Well, apparently, MySpace is doing some things right as this article: http://www.internetweek.cmp.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=186500607 Shows. Everyone involved should be...

View more questions Search