Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mntwolves1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2007, 05:12 PM
    Forced out by landlord due to property going into foreclosure
    Hello,

We recently signed a contract to rent to own. We have been in our house for 3 months. Our landlord sent us letter stating that his lender had raised his mortgage payment and that the property was soon to go into foreclosure. Our rent to own contract does not end for another 21 months.

He gave us three options:
    1. We move out immediately and he refunds our security deposit.
    2. We continue to rent until he is able to sell the house at which time he would refund our deposit.
    3. We buy the house from him.

Option 3 will not work as the payments would be too high. Do we have a legal right to stay in the home until the contract is up even if it goes into foreclosure? Or does the foreclosure supercede the agreement?

I live in the state of Minnesota.

Thanks
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 20, 2007, 06:26 PM
    The home is not currently in foreclosure from what it sounds like, only about to go, it normally takes several months for a foreclosure to happen.
    You can continue to rent ( paying your rent) until the foreclosure officially happens, once it does foreclose you will have to move.
    If he sells it before it forecloses, then if you have a written lease, the new owner is obligated to honor that lease.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

House foreclosure rent money due [ 4 Answers ]

I am a landlord and my investment property is in the 1st stage of foreclosure. I am looking to reinstate it, but my tenants are refusing to pay rent until they find out what is going on. Can they withhold money? Can they live there rent free because of the situation? Please advise.

Foreclosure - Forced Homeowner's Insurance [ 4 Answers ]

I recently tried to provide advice to a lady whose home will be sold at Trustee Sale on August 24, 2007. She is down about 8 months, and the lender placed their own insurance on the property to protect their interest. She has no escrow account and allowed her policy to lapse about 4 months ago. Her...

Landlord foreclosure [ 2 Answers ]

My landlord's mortgage was just foreclosed on. I have only lived here for 6 weeks. They never told us anything about them being in trouble ( we would not have moved in if we knew!) and now I assume we'll have to move again. Can I go after them legally for all the trouble another move will cause- we...

Landlord Foreclosure [ 1 Answers ]

I'm renting a house in Indiana I just found out is being foreclosed upon. The landlord won't answer her phone. The summons we received listed my husband and I as defendants "John and Jane Doe". The summons says we have 20 days to respond. We're on a month to month lease (the lease actually expired...

Renter eviction due to owner foreclosure [ 17 Answers ]

I am currently renting a house through a property management company in Dallas, Texas and have 2 months left on our lease. I always pay rent early. I just found out that the owner of the property is apparently not paying their mortgage and may be going into foreclosure. I do not have any formal...

View more questions Search