Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cheyann Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2007, 08:23 PM
    Custody of unborn child
    My daughter is pregnant and her boyfriend recently broke up with her. We thought he was a nice guy suddenly he started saying she was cheating on him. This person was beating her up and yelling at her, all while I was sleeping down the hall and my niece was staying in the room next to her. I told him this didn't happen if he wanted to break up just break up don't make stories up. He has made other stories up to, some one tried to stab him at work so he quit, someone slashed his tires , etc. He doesn't bother with my daughter now he's always with his friends, he only calls maybe once a week to threaten her about the baby, he is going to take the baby away from her. She's going to jail if she doesn't tell him what sex the baby is. It goes on and on. My daughter is upset and tried to be friends with him for the baby. She's worried that he will try to get custody or take the baby and not bring it back. Does she have to put his name on the birth certificate? She is afraid to let him with the baby after its born, she knows she has to let him see the baby but it scares her. What can she do she is really stressed out about this. Not to mention hurt by what he's done. Its like he became another person.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 19, 2007, 08:32 PM
    She does not have to put his name on the birth certificate,
    No one can file for custody of a unborn baby, so everyone has to wait till the baby is born,

He can file for a DNA test, ask the court to add his name to the birth certificate and file for custody. But almost never does the father get custody of a new born unless the mother is totally unfit.

So what does she need to do, as soon as baby is born, file for custody, and file for child support against him.

Guys like this will threaten and threaten to try and scare people into doing what they want
    momtobe949 Posts: 78, Reputation: 11

Sep 20, 2007, 05:26 AM
    Fr_Chuck I couldn't of said it better myself , I am going to give you a piece of advice as an attorney myself I see these cases more and more with young people that have chosen to brake of their relationship but still have this little baby to keep them in communications. I would say you and your daughter should look into legal aid or speak with a lawyer concerning your rights and the fathers rights. After the baby is born a judge may ask social services to evaluate each home, and everyone involved. As well your daughters past may come into effect, income, and the ability to provide for the child.
    If you have anymore questions please feel free to send me a message.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 20, 2007, 05:55 AM
    First, you need to document the threats and abuse. Then you need to get an attorney.

As Chuck said, the likelihood of a father getting custody of a newborn except where the mother is totally unfit is about nil. So he's making empty threats. Don't let him intimidate you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Father seeking child custody of an unborn child [ 8 Answers ]

How can I get partial custody to my unborn child? The mother refusing to name me as the father. I know I can file after the baby is born, but I want to be there for the birth of my child.

Child custody for an unborn [ 1 Answers ]

This is me first time on this forum, and my question is if I may obtain custody of my child when it is born, the mother does have a record of attempt suicide and she has done drugs to my knowledge until a few months of her finding out she was pregnant, she is easily annoyed my kids and she admits...

Custody of unborn child [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I after 4 years are splitting up, I am now 3 months pregnant and he is telling me that he wants 50-50 custody. Can paperwork be drawn up now or does it have to wait until the baby is born?

Custody of Unborn child [ 3 Answers ]

Me and my boyfriend of 4 years are calling it quits. We have a 2 year old daughter whom he has custody of and another baby on the way. He doesn't want to split up the children, which I completely agree with, but I was stupid enough to give him custody of our daughter and I don't want to give him...

Custody of unborn child [ 2 Answers ]

I am debating on a divorce. My timing is not so great however, because I am in the first trimester of my first pregnancy. I do not think abortion is the answer, however my husband threats that he will take me to court for full custody. The baby is not even born yet though... what can happen here? I...

View more questions Search