Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wolfie1963 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2007, 09:32 PM
    Cotangent clarification
    My equation is this
    y = cot x
    This was a sample question in my online review.

I have all the x's as x1 = 0, x2= pi/8, x3= pi/4, x4= 3pi/8, x5= pi/2, x6= 5pi/8,
    x7= 3pi/4, x8= pi.

These are all in the lesson plan. The y's are as follows y1= domain, y2= 2.41, y3= 1,
    y4 = 0.41, y5 = 0, y6 = -0.41, y7 = -1, y8 = -domain.

my question is this how do they come up with the 2.41 for the y2 in the equation.

the lesson plan show them getting it as cot pi/8 = 1/tan(pi/8) = 1/.041 = 2.41.

can anyone show me what was done to get this answer. I am so confused and doing this online.
    Thanks Cindy
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 19, 2007, 05:41 AM
    Recall that cot(x) is defined as 1/tan(x), or as cos(x)/sin(x). Plug pi/8 in for x, and you get your answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax clarification [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I am a green card holder with us income as only gift of shares from my son.I have foreign country income from India as dividends,interest and small business income.All this I am getting in india for several years before I became a residenrt and my foreign income has no connection with any...

IRS W-7 Form clarification [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1 and will be filing the Fed Tax as "married filing jointly" with my wife. I would need to submit a W-7 for my wife (on H4) as she does not have SSN. Looking at the revised W-7 at the IRS site - I want to know what's the correct option for my wife - for applying for ITIN Option (c) -...

Form W7 clarification [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1B here starting Oct 1 06. And my wife and daughter have joined me Oct 16. And they will be going back to india for a period of 4 months at end of nov 06. I asked question about taxes in my case and got the reply of I can get all my tax refund for this year after filing tax return....

Form W4 - clarification [ 3 Answers ]

I was in USA for 3 months in 2005 (july to Sep) as a Non resident Alien. At that time I claimed Allowances/Exemptions - 2 in my payroll. I have again come to USA in January, 2007. Now my employer is telling me to submit the W4 Form with Allowances/Exemptions -1. On both the occasions, I had a L1...

Rough-in Clarification [ 1 Answers ]

I have a three-level townhouse, built ~1998, which has a rough-in half-bath on the ground level (all finished walls with lighting and exhaust fan). There are two pipes--one (1) 4" pipe in the concrete floor for the toilet; one (1) 2" pipe in the wall for the sink. (NOTE: Opposite that wall is...

View more questions Search