Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    steph73 Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Sep 18, 2007, 10:28 AM
    Bank acount with Social Security money
    My question is that I have an account that my ssi payments are direct deposited into. I also have put my paychecks in them. I am confused about being garnished. If SSI is exempt from garnishment then how does the fact that I put my paycheck in the account make the account available for garnishment?
    tgmn16 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2007, 02:32 PM
    My mother applied for 10 credit card accounts and maxed them out. She's on social security only as her income. She's been paying a consolidator to pay most of them, but now she needs all of her money to move into an assisted living facility. Can the debtors take her social security out of her bank account if she doesn't pay those credit cards? What if I deposit a check in her account once in awhile for groceries or whatever, can they take that money? How do you avoid garnishment in advance without any surprises. Her bank charges very high NSF fees. What should be we do to prepare?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 25, 2007, 02:36 PM
    My understanding is that, once a govt check or any other money has been deposited into an account, it becomes "income" and can be taken by debtors. To avoid garnishment of certain funds, you would have to put the deposits into an account that isn't under a threat, say, in another (trusted) friend's or relative's account.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 25, 2007, 02:50 PM
    The actual SSI check you get can not be garnished, just don't put it in the bank. Once it isi mingled with other money you will have to go to court and show them which money in the bank is SSI and which is other money. The account will stay frozen while you appeal the attachment of the money.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2007, 07:09 AM
    You must notify the court that the funds in that account are Social Securityand a copy to the bank as well. If you don't say anything they will take it.

Safe from Garnishment

Federal law makes Social Security benefits exempt from levy, garnishment, and assignment- 42 USC 407(a) states. "In general the right of any future payments under this sub chapter SHALL NOT be Transferable or assignable. AND NONE of the moneys paid or payable or rights existing under this subchapter shall be subject to execution, levey, attachment, garnishment, or other legal process, or to the operation of any bankruptcy or insolvency law".

This means that even if a creditor or debt attorney, collection agency has a judgement against you they CAN NOT garnish your SS payments nor can they take the money from you after it has been paid to you; for example, the portion of your bank account that is attributable to your SS benefits is EXEMPT from LEVY OR ATTACHMENT
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 26, 2007, 07:20 AM
    You can do what Mr Yet says, but that means you can't put any other monies into that account, because they then become commingled.
    steph73 Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Sep 26, 2007, 08:53 AM
    What I have learned since all of this started is that going forward, is to
    1. open a new account with a prewarned letter stating that this account only has SSI funds and is exempt from garnishment.
    2. keep all other monies out of it.

Two new things have come to light for me to deal with my present situation.
    1. Florida wages placed in a bank account are exempt from garnishment for the first 6 months even when comingled with other monies.

2. I am allowed $1,000 in personal property and the money in that account can be included as personal property if that's what I want to deem as personal property.

Neither of these two things were advised to me by the 3 attorneys I sought advice from.
    Very frustrating, when I went to Clerk of Court and asked for an exemption form they had to go to a supervisor to find out what that was. Anyway just thought I'd give an update.
    I filed my exemption today and mailed it out to the plaintiff and the garnishee.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1-h1 social security and medicare [ 6 Answers ]

I am an indian citizen employed in the usa. My status for 2005 was : Jan-Oct : F1/OPT Oct-Dec : H1 My employer deducted social security and medicare taxes from oct-dec when I was on h1. While filing taxes, my tax consultant told me that since social security and medicare are charged per...

Regarding Social Security [ 3 Answers ]

Call me new. Because I'm far from Social Security, however my father isn't. He just received his first check from the Social Security Office. He asked me if he is able to continue to work, or must he be unemployed to receive Social Security. Question: Can you have both a working income and...

Social security benefits [ 6 Answers ]

My husband received a :p fully favoriable decision on SSDI not ssi. He has worked since he was 17 years old. Anyway he is disabled and ssa award his disability to him July 27, 2006 and it is know October 19, 2006 and he has not received nothing from them. He is suppose to receive 4 years of...

Bankruptcy/social security [ 10 Answers ]

To go along with my previous question... my disability is my only way to pay for rent and meds , etc... also don't you have to be served and have a chance to rebut against this... it shouldn't belegal to take my disability... it is not a paycheck...

View more questions Search