Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    imadthegreat Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2007, 09:17 AM
    How to Apply for ITIN
    Hi

I am on H1 and my wife came here last week on H4. I am also in the process of changing my job and my H1 transfer application is with USCIS right now. I wanted to apply for her ITIN. I know I am suppose to fill up W7 form. But is there anything else that she needs to apply for her Driver;s License and for me to claim her as a dependent on my taxes.

Thanks
    Imad
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 18, 2007, 12:17 PM
    The best identification document to provide is either her passport (which will be returned) or a photocopy of her passport that has been certified as a true copy by the local IRS office.

In most cases, you CANNOT apply for an ITIN until you file your tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Apply ITIN for H4 living outside US [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an H1B holder, can I apply my wife and kids, H4 holders for ITIN so I can claim them as dependents? Thanks! Reyn

How to apply? [ 1 Answers ]

Do you know any web-sites with tips how to fill the application properly?

On L1, Spouse and kid on L2 , should I apply for ITIN or SSN [ 3 Answers ]

Hi , I have few of questions 1. I am on L1 and my spouse and 18 month kid are on L2. Can I apply for their SSN or I should apply for ITIN. 2.In future my wife may work , and then she will applying for EAD and then get a SSN . Is it possible to get a SSN after getting ITIN. 3.We came US on...

I was on L1 visa want to file joint return. I want to apply for ITIN for spouse [ 4 Answers ]

I was in US(california) from march 2006 - jan 2007 on L1. My wife and kid were on L2. They don't have SSN (I think now its possible to get ssn on L2 ). Now I am back in India and want to file my return with both of them as my dependent. So I think I will have to file W7 for both of them to get...

Apply for ITIN for my wife from India [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am Ganesh B. I hold valid H1 visa and my wife holds valid H4 visa. We both travelled USA on Feb 18 2006 and returned back to India on Jan 6 2007. Now we both are in India. Now I need tio file my US Tax Returns. Can I apply for ITIN for my wife now ? Please advice.

View more questions Search