Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blitzmom Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2007, 09:10 PM
    Puppy peeing in crate
    Hi Guys! Looking for sugestions. I have a 10 week old Weim who is normally a gem but crys constantly at night. He crys to get out if his crate in the middle of the night every hour and I'm having a hard time telling if it is protest or having to use the potty. We have our crate in the living room where we spend most of our time and he goes in fine when we tell him to "go to his bed". If I sleep in my room I'm up every hour if I sleep on the couch I still only get about 3. We have tried buying a "heart beat bear" to make him feel like he has someone in there with him and have even went as far as to making him a CD with heart tones on it that plays all night. Nothing helps. Our other problem is that he pees in his crate if left alone even if fully relieved right before us leaving the house. The crate is made small for him but he will pee within 15 min of us leaving and then lay in it. We have not been able to leave our house for more then 20 min. I just don't know what else to try. Any suggestions??
    Thanks!! :confused:
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2007, 09:20 PM
    No magic bullet, but there is a couple of things that will help in the sticky starting at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802
    A kong stuffed with peanut butter could help too.

Sep 27, 2007, 04:30 AM
    OK Labman tried all the suggestions and my weim seemed to be doing great! I put in his heart beat bear back into his crate to keep him company and last night I awoke to himcrying in his crate to go out. When I took him out he didn't use the potty. I went back in to have a look in his crate to see if it was wet and it seemed dry until I touched his bear. It was soaked! Do you think he was smart enough to urinate on the bear so that it would be absorbed? So that he wouldn't have to lay in it? And lastly, is it normal for a 12wk old puppy to still not be sleeping through the night? He gets a long walk before bed (8:30pm) and out again at 10:30. He is still waking up at 1:30-2am to be let out and again at 6am. Is this normal and if so when does it stop?

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2007, 04:45 AM
    Glad things are helping. I hope the bear was washable. I think they are usually sleeping through the night by then. Try more walking at the 10:30 outing, and taking up the water after the 7:30 one.

Sep 27, 2007, 07:18 PM
    Hey Lab man so we have a new issue with my 12wk old weim. So I work evenings and my husband is home with the dog at night and every time I call home to check in and see how everyone is doing all I get is a list of bad reports about the dog. Tonight I called to find out that he urinated in the house twice and in his crate once. I've only been away from home for 3 hours? Could this be separation anxiety from me not being there? Any other suggestions on treating this so my husband doesn't lose his mind?
    Thanks!
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2007, 07:40 PM
    The books suggest otherwise, but dogs do seem to be adept at getting attention by urinating. Perhaps you need to arrange the furniture like I have so the door is right in the corner of my eye when I am at the computer. A 12week old takes constant attention.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog peeing in crate [ 11 Answers ]

I have a 14 month old boxer. He's house broken, but sleeps in a crate at night where he pees almost every night. We know that he can hold it all night because sometimes he'll sleep on a blanket in our bedroom and have no accidents. But if we put him in the crate its almost guaranteed he'll pee...

My Yorkie recently started peeing in her crate [ 2 Answers ]

Please help! My year old Yorkie has started peeing in her kennel. This started about 2 months ago. She is a fun loving dog, very well trained in all other areas except for this. She has been house broken for some time now, in the past 2 months I come home from work and Malibu and her crate reek of...

Dogs tearing stuff up and peeing in crate.ahhhhh [ 2 Answers ]

I have two puppys a 6 month old and a 7 month old and I'm super confused. We crate them at night and let them go potty before and as soon as we get up they are also crated while we are at work but get plenty of time outside of the crate. Yet every time they are in their crate they pee we have...

Saint Bernard pup peeing and pooping in crate [ 4 Answers ]

I have an 11 week old Saint Bernard pup. I got him from a breeder out of state. He spent 12 hours in a travel crate (that he urinated in) on his way to my house. I am afraid that this produced an association between travel crate and bathroom. So, I bought him a wire crate and put no bedding or...

Peeing in Crate [ 1 Answers ]

I need help and I am literally pulling my hair out in tears everyday because of it. I have a 6 month old border collie mix who refuses to stop peeing in his crate. I have a feeling it is a behavioral problem. He has been to the vet and his bladder is fine. Whenever we leave we put him in his crate...

View more questions Search