Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mahal_kita9 Posts: 75, Reputation: 4

Sep 13, 2007, 10:31 AM
    Dealing with guilt
    Does anyone have any ideas or effective ways to cope with guilt?
    sandeeskibug Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2007, 10:42 AM
    I hope this helps here go's. Looking back on life you can see things differently than you can in the moment. You make the best decisions with the information you have at that time. There for looking back and wishing you had done things differently is in evadable but that doesn't mean you have to feel guilty.

Sep 13, 2007, 10:46 AM
    I really like that outlook.
    But... its not really something I regret... its something I'm doing currently that I can't help.
    sandeeskibug Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2007, 10:57 AM
    First step is realizing that you can't help what you are doing. Decide if you want to stop what you are doing. If so get help.
    shatteredsoul Posts: 423, Reputation: 130

Sep 14, 2007, 11:28 AM
    LEt it go, it is a waste of time and energy to feel guilty. Focus on ways to be better, different, stronger.. What happened in the past is done, all you can focus on now, the PRESENT... LIVE IN THE MOMENT AND LET THE REST GO...
    My daughter at ten had this perspective about me feeling badly about something. Today is over. Tomorrow is a brand new day, and with that you get a new chance to start all over again and do it better and do it right. OUt of the mouths of babes!!

Sep 14, 2007, 11:46 AM
    Thanks guys. Your opinions help
    :)
    shatteredsoul Posts: 423, Reputation: 130

Sep 14, 2007, 12:03 PM
    I have moments of guilt and frustration with myself. I sometimes overanalyze a situation or go over something in my mind a thousand times and wonder, was that wrong or right? I can tell you through my own experience that it never did any good or changed anything, feeling badly about how I did something, or handled a situation. I wasted my own precious time worrying about what was already done. I realize I can't change it, but everyday I can do little things to try and be a better person and to respond differently. Or to make a wiser decision than before. Life is a process of learning as you go. There is no definite answers, so in the process of our mistakes, comes spiritual growth and maturity. IF we didn't screw up. What would we ever learn?? Be gentle with yourself, it is the most important thing you can do, and one of the most difficult to accomplish when feeling guilty.

Sep 14, 2007, 12:06 PM
    Thanks shatteredsoul.. I loved your advice.
    The thing is... what I'm doing now that makes me feel guilty... its the way I'm treating someone. And I've always treated this person like this, so its not too out of the ordinary. But here lately... that person has been bringing it up, which is something they've never done. I feel really bad... but its just something I cannot change.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 14, 2007, 12:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mahal_kita9
    but... its not really something i regret...its something im doing currently that i can't help.
    I'd sure like to know what you're doing that you "can't help".

If you have absolutely no choice in the matter (?? ), there is no reason for guilt. Guilt comes from regret that you made the wrong choice and committed the action, whatever it was. That means your guilt is phony, false.

If you don't regret the wrong action, why is there guilt? Guilt comes from regret.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 14, 2007, 12:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mahal_kita9
    but its just something i cannot change.
    Of course you can change it.
    Marily Posts: 457, Reputation: 51

Sep 17, 2007, 12:08 AM
    As long as you've sought forgiveness for whatever you've done that was wrong and not doing it again you have nothing to feel guilty about
    Illusion Posts: 195, Reputation: 33

Sep 21, 2007, 02:14 PM
    Remember, if you feel guilty - there is something that you resent. Go back to the situation and see if there is anything that you resent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Guilt [ 3 Answers ]

What is it with ejacullation and guiltiness? I just can't seem to put my finger on it I love th ebuildup but after I'm spent for like 2-3 minutes I have this surge of a downer?

Guilt at having an affair. Years ago, but just like yesterday Guilt Guilt , Guilt [ 5 Answers ]

I got married in 1992 after being with my partner for about 18 months , life was good. I found out I was pregnant, our daughter was born the same year. It wasn't long before I felt lost, alone and just an object that was there to look after and care for our daughter. He probably never meant to be...

Full of guilt [ 6 Answers ]

I've been a nurse for 20 years and thought I made a good one. I liked my patients and treated them like my children. I did a stint at a nursing home through an agency. One of my patients had been sexually molested by another resident(he was alert and oriented) He waited until no one was around and...

Suicide,Pain and Guilt [ 2 Answers ]

After all this help and people I've talked too I really like grammadidi an her advice thank you but I really don't think that people are going to be able to help me. I used to talk to my boyfriend until like yesterday when he said that what I tell him gets old because I talk about my mother all the...

Lost with guilt [ 5 Answers ]

I am lost with guilt I have been in this relationship for 8 years almost and he was in the navy for 4 of those years and while he was gone I cheated on him more then once and I was honest with him and he stayed with me and he has not been faithfull either and all we do is fight and he is verbally...

View more questions Search