Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    buckets10 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2007, 08:28 PM
    Unborn child and a divorce
    I just found out I was with child. The problem is I am going to be going through a divorce. I know he does not want the baby, I do. He will give me full custody with no fight. The thing is I would like him to (I am sure he would love this also) sign over prental rights of the child. The question is I have been told in Alabama you can't sign over rights to a child unless someone is willing to adopt. Also I have to be married to the person adopting. Is there any way for me to get around this? Can I just have the baby and put father unknown. Please no responses telling me this is unfair to the child. I am doing the best I can with this!
    tawnynkids Posts: 622, Reputation: 111

Sep 13, 2007, 10:05 AM
    Well, yes you can just not put his name on the birth certificate however because you are married, if the child is born while you two are technically married he will be the presumed legal father.

You really need to check with a lawyer. As in many divorces, it is asked if you are pregnant during the divorce so that child gets dealt with in the divorce.

If the unborn baby isn't mentioned in the divorce then I assume if the baby is born after the divorce becomes final you can just leave the father blank and he can just walk away and have nothing to do with the child if he chooses.

I don't believe there is a way to legally sever his rights without an adoption. So either you or him could possibly later file for paternity and custody/visitation rights.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Father seeking child custody of an unborn child [ 8 Answers ]

How can I get partial custody to my unborn child? The mother refusing to name me as the father. I know I can file after the baby is born, but I want to be there for the birth of my child.

Unborn child [ 6 Answers ]

I am 18 years old, 28 weeks pregnant, and have just recently moved out of the house that I lived in with my parents. My parents are threatening to take my baby away once she is born. Can they do that? What should I do?

Unborn child [ 14 Answers ]

I have known the father of my unborn child for 5 years. We dated and had a great intimate friendship until I became pregnant and he did not want to speak to me ever again. He wrote me several emails commanding me to get an abortion and wished me to miscarry. He is very aggressive and...

Child custody of an unborn child [ 2 Answers ]

My question is concerning my sister, she moved to this state I live in now, only a year ago,to live with me, she got pregnant by some guy she was seeing, when he started beating her up she left him,(she was only 2 months pregnant at this time) now she's 7 months pregnant and we are moving back...

Divorce and unborn child [ 2 Answers ]

My husband recently filed for divorce because he can not deal with the legal issues my first husband is putting us through. WE have a child that is due in December but he wants to give up his rights so I won't be in his life, but the catch is that he wants me to sign a consent decree stating that...

View more questions Search