Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Greg Quinn Posts: 486, Reputation: 85

Sep 12, 2007, 12:56 PM
    I have a little girl who is inevitably involved in a separation, she is pushed into Christianity by my X and her grandma. She is 2 and a half, and at a point that I have to allow this because I love her and I know what damage could happen by introducing question so early on. We had an agreement that we would hold off of the whole belief "Religion" thing until a better time where she would be more suited to understand. That was not honoured at all, so now I'm venting. LOL
    mountain_man Posts: 269, Reputation: 45

Sep 12, 2007, 01:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Quinn
    I have a little girl who is inevitably involved in a separation, she is pushed into Christianity by my X and her grandma. She is 2 and a half, and at a point that I have to allow this because I love her and I know what damage could happen by introducing question so early on. We had an agreement that we would hold off of the whole belief "Religion" thing until a better time where she would be more suited to understand. That was not honoured at all, so now I'm venting. LOL

In your case I think you are correct not to push any beliefs onto her, she is very young and needs to deal with other things.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2007, 01:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever
    As I believe I am following the truth, I would want my child to grow up learning the truth...
    I should have used the word "I know" instead of I believe.

And Greg,

About being in the middle of a separation,I have read of some children (teens and older) who seem to find comfort in religion during divorce,separation etc.

Sep 12, 2007, 01:52 PM
    Not trying to be funny here at all, but I agree with that, some nonbelievers believe on their deathbeds. During the most dreadful times during the Holocaust Jewish people with children stood there with their children telling them that " It's OK! God is watching over us". Some seniors go to church only because it is close to the end for them and they need to believe in a greater power. And for bereavement, religion alone has stopped "I'm sure" hundreds of thousands {millions?}of suicides.
    Because of my (Very strong) beliefs I feel it is important for me to always be honest with my daughter.
    "Kind Quote" As I KNOW I am following the truth, I would want my child to grow up learning the truth..." FIRMBELIEVER
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2007, 01:54 PM
    Not trying to be funny here at all, but I agree with that, some nonbelievers believe on their deathbeds, During the most dreadful times during the Holocaust Jewish people with children stood there with their children telling them that " It's OK! God is watching over us". Some seniors go to church only because it is close to the end for them and they need to believe in a greater power. And for bereavement religion alone has stopped "I'm sure" hundreds of thousands {millions?}of suicides.
    Because of my (Very strong) beliefs I feel it is important for me to always be honest with my daughter.
    "Kind Quote" As I believe I am following the truth, I would want my child to grow up learning the truth..." FIRMBELIEVER
    :D
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2007, 02:36 PM
    Sounds like you are growing up and questioning what you were told when you were a youngster.

This is the beginning of you becoming a full grown adult, a person of integrity; there is a lot of work ahead of you---learning about the world and religions and different worldviews. There is a danger that if you stagnate as you are you will just become "rebellious" without any knowledge of why. Your goal is to become a person with character/integrity with useful knowledge!

Good luck in your journey! :)
    cpalmist Posts: 137, Reputation: 32

Sep 12, 2007, 03:36 PM
    When I was young I was pretty religious then started seeing what was taught in Sunday School was NOT was I was seeing in real life. How could I believe in a 'Just God' if what I was seeing was a lot of injustice? How could so many people profess to be big believers when what they were doing in life belied what they were saying? How come I'm doing all the "Right Things" but I keep getting slapped upside the head for following that path?
    So I essentially quit. Wow! The 80's were a lot of fun (and a lot of pain as well.)
    But then I found that being off the Path was far more painful than being on the Path and got back on it, but with a lot more understanding and foregiveness towards myself and others. Maybe that what it was all about, at least for me it was and is.

One thing I found for sure - I might have given up on God but He sure didn't give up on me! Too many miracles, minor and major have I had to reinforce my faith.

Oh, and my confirmed atheist friend, Dave, who did his research as well, found time to find God and become a big part of a church group when he found out he had terminal cancer. I guess it goes to show that in the end, we do get back to the basics.

I wish you well in your search for deeper meaning.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Sep 12, 2007, 08:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mahal_kita9
    i used to be such a good christian...i prayed all the time, whenever i wasn't doing anything. i talked to God about everything that went on in my life. I avoided any situations where I would be tempted to sin. Then, everything just...stopped. I stopped caring if God listened to me...I stopped trying to not sin.... and now I just question everything about religion period. It all just seems like something made up a long time ago by people who were terrified of death, so they made up Heaven and Hell.

Are these signs of questioning the Lord, or becoming agnostic? Or atheist?

If you believe, there is nothing you can do to make God love you any more or any less.

Romans 8:
    37No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[m] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Ephesians 2:
    8For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9not by works, so that no one can boast.

As to questioning, go ahead, it does not condemn you.
    Lee Strobel has a "Case for... " series.
    Scientific evidence, for me points to a Creator...

Grace and Peace
    Marily Posts: 457, Reputation: 51

Sep 12, 2007, 10:04 PM
    There has to be more to it then just 'i stopped'

Sep 12, 2007, 11:44 PM
    Today, 11:04 PM

Today, 11:04 PM
    Marily
    There has to be more to it then just 'i stopped'----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What is foolishness to the world is greatness to GOD and what is greatness to the world is foolishness to GOD
    ----------------------------------END QUOTE -------------------------------------------------------

I think when a person is cheated on... sometimes they realize it well after the fact. This is only a reference and not saying anyone was actually cheated on or was lied to. The same thing has happened to me in regards to religion, I was raised to believe something by others. I started to think on my own and came to the same idea on my own that MahlKita_9 had come to question. QUOTE; "It all just seems like something made up a long time ago by people who were terrified of death, so they made up Heaven and Hell." I'm certainly not going to get into some random matrix take the blue pill or red scenario. But I researched it on my own, and came to my conclusions. I want to add as I am a hair defensive on the subject but loath being biased, that if anyone starts to doubt, and only look up atheist web sites you would be subjected to an amazing amount of one sided knowledge (just as if you were questionable about people of different races and only researched on the KKK website) I like to imagine anyone in that scenario making sure that they really see what is fully out there. I honestly miss the search because Its so much like space " You only see new things if you continue to look"... QT; Men have had the vanity to pretend that the whole creation was made for them, while in reality the whole creation does not suspect their existence.
    Susan Brownell Anthony (1820-1906)

Sep 12, 2007, 11:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox
    If you believe, there is nothing you can do to make God love you any more or any less.

Romans 8:
    37No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[m] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Ephesians 2:
    8For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9not by works, so that no one can boast.

As to questioning, go ahead, it does not condemn you.
    Lee Strobel has a "Case for... " series.
    Scientific evidence, for me points to a Creator....

Grace and Peace
    __________________________________________________ ______________________

What does that prove exactly? This person is questioning their faith, and the existence of a God. Not "if god loves them."

Sep 13, 2007, 12:03 AM
    Oops... I accidentally double posted. I used the edit button and redid it.
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 02:13 AM

I think when a person is cheated on.... sometimes they realize it well after the fact. This is only a reference and not saying anyone was actually cheated on or was lied to. The same thing has happened to me in regards to religion, I was raised to believe something by others. I started to think on my own and came to the same idea on my own that MahlKita_9 had come to question. QUOTE; "It all just seems like something made up a long time ago by people who were terrified of death, so they made up Heaven and Hell." I'm certainly not going to get into some random matrix take the blue pill or red scenario. But I researched it on my own, and came to my conclusions. I want to add as I am a hair defensive on the subject but loath being biased, that if anyone starts to doubt, and only look up atheist web sites you would be subjected to an amazing amount of one sided knowledge (just as if you were questionable about people of different races and only researched on the KKK website) I like to imagine anyone in that scenario making sure that they really see what is fully out there. I honestly miss the search because Its so much like space " You only see new things if you continue to look".... QT; Men have had the vanity to pretend that the whole creation was made for them, while in reality the whole creation does not suspect their existence.
    Susan Brownell Anthony (1820-1906)
    Greg,
    I would like to ask..
    Have you stopped your search for the truth?

Thanks in advance.

Sep 13, 2007, 09:13 AM
    There was a point when I became obsessed with the topic. I grabbed everything I could lay my eyes on and really went to town. I have some very religious family members who are part of a right wing church that asks not for minimal offerings of 7 to 10% but... 15% of their income. It was such a bother to me when I realized that all the money is sent down to a very rich man in California who operated this organization. The money is never spent on the church here (in Canada) as it is just a cheap time share hall that only operates as a meeting place on Sunday. Anyway, I became consumed with wanting to change all of that, and for so many other reasons as well... I had many debates. My friends enjoyed discussions and so did my family members. And I continued to learn more and more but always came to the same conclusion. A few years ago I stopped it all together and accepted that I can not discuss this any longer because no matter what I do or say it changes no man if the man {woman} has faith. And vice versa, this is the first time I've even discussed religion in years. And to be quite honest am surprised it has been so pleasant, lol. I am always interested in new facts or findings but "as I'm sure you do" try to stick to my beliefs. It's funny that I'm an atheist, but I follow the ten commandments. Its funny that I try to avoid the seven sins. Although they could add to that list. I have a few telescopes now and Kayla and I sit out at night sometimes and I find cool planets to look at and tell her that maybe she can go to that planet one day. I fill this need for knowledge in a better way now. But to answer your question, I look but don't hunt, give me the star-ship enterprise and I promise to do a better search for the truth. But until then I'm pretty content believing that I have found just about all the believable by me truths I'm going to find for now. I enjoy NOVA and other programs that give both sides in different ways, times, and presented as facts no matter what the topic. But that's about it.
    mahal_kita9 Posts: 75, Reputation: 4

Sep 13, 2007, 09:14 AM
    Thanks for the help guys.

NeedKarma... I guess I worded differently than what I meant. When I said that I stopped trying not to sin... I meant that things I did that weren't good were just... things I did that weren't good... instead of sins... if that makes any sense. I just stopped seeing them as sins... and just as mistakes. Maybe they are both the same... I don't know... I'm just confused about it all. If anything... I think I've been a better person lately. As if I'm being good for myself... not for god. Which in truth, makes me feel very good. That might sound bad, but its only the truth and how I feel.

I have researched a lot... about different types of christianity... atheism... buddhism... even satanism... but that was more out of curiosity I think. They all seem made up. And I hate the fact that there has to be so many rules and guidelines. That seems so pointless. I'm told that they are to keep humans acting civily... but we know what is right and what is wrong. Does anyone get what I'm saying?
    mountain_man Posts: 269, Reputation: 45

Sep 13, 2007, 09:29 AM

NeedKarma... I guess I worded differently than what i meant. when i said that i stopped trying not to sin...i meant that things i did that weren't good were just... things i did that werent good...instead of sins...if that makes any sense. i just stopped seeing them as sins...and just as mistakes. maybe they are both the same...i dont know... im just confused about it all. if anything...i think ive been a better person lately. as if im being good for myself...not for god. which in truth, makes me feel very good. that might sound bad, but its only the truth and how i feel.

i have researched a lot...about different types of christianity...atheism...buddhism...even satanism...but that was more out of curiosity i think. they all seem made up. and i hate the fact that there has to be so many rules and guidelines. that seems so pointless. im told that they are to keep humans acting civily...but we know what is right and what is wrong. does anyone get what im saying?

In your search for the truth and going through all these religions and guidelines I hope and pray that you stop and talk to God about Him opening up your eyes to the truth Romans 3:22-24
    mahal_kita9 Posts: 75, Reputation: 4

Sep 13, 2007, 09:33 AM
    I have. I have asked god countless times to help me or guide me or show me the way and all that. I have kept my heart, mind, and eyes open for signs and miracles. And I continue to do so.
    So far... this is where it has lead me.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2007, 09:40 AM
    if anything...i think ive been a better person lately. as if im being good for myself...not for god. which in truth, makes me feel very good. that might sound bad, but its only the truth and how i feel.
    Great to hear. You can be spared all the guilt associated with trying to please someone else. You seem to have good inner morality, follow it, that's what I do. Good luck!
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 10:07 AM
    There was a point when I became obsessed with the topic. I grabbed everything I could lay my eyes on and really went to town. I have some very religious family members who are part of a right wing church that asks not for minimal offerings of 7 to 10% but... 15% of their income. It was such a bother to me when I realized that all the money is sent down to a very rich man in California who operated this organization. The money is never spent on the church here (in Canada) as it is just a cheap time share hall that only operates as a meeting place on Sunday. Anyways, I became consumed with wanting to change all of that, and for so many other reasons as well..... I had many debates. My friends enjoyed discussions and so did my family members. And I continued to learn more and more but always came to the same conclusion. A few years ago I stopped it all together and accepted that I can not discuss this any longer because no matter what I do or say it changes no man if the man {woman} has faith. And vice versa, this is the first time I've even discussed religion in years. And to be quite honest am surprised it has been so pleasant, lol. I am always interested in new facts or findings but "as I'm sure you do" try to stick to my beliefs. It's funny that I'm an atheist, but I follow the ten commandments. Its funny that I try to avoid the seven sins. Although they could add to that list. I have a few telescopes now and Kayla and I sit out at night sometimes and I find cool planets to look at and tell her that maybe she can go to that planet one day. I fill this need for knowledge in a better way now. But to answer your question, I look but don't hunt, give me the star-ship enterprise and I promise to do a better search for the truth. But until then I'm pretty content believing that I have found just about all the believable by me truths I'm gonna find for now. I enjoy NOVA and other programs that give both sides in different ways, times, and presented as facts no matter what the topic. But that's about it.
    A starship could take us a long way,but it will still not take me where I wish to be.:rolleyes:
    I follow the ten commandments too but I am not a Christian!:)
    I believe in Jesus (alaihi salaam) and his teachings too, not the part about him being the son of God or God Himself etc.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Sep 13, 2007, 12:04 PM

NeedKarma... I guess I worded differently than what i meant. when i said that i stopped trying not to sin...i meant that things i did that weren't good were just... things i did that werent good...instead of sins...if that makes any sense. i just stopped seeing them as sins...and just as mistakes. maybe they are both the same...i dont know... im just confused about it all. if anything...i think ive been a better person lately. as if im being good for myself...not for god. which in truth, makes me feel very good. that might sound bad, but its only the truth and how i feel.

i have researched a lot...about different types of christianity...atheism...buddhism...even satanism...but that was more out of curiosity i think. they all seem made up. and i hate the fact that there has to be so many rules and guidelines. that seems so pointless. im told that they are to keep humans acting civily...but we know what is right and what is wrong. does anyone get what im saying?

It sounds like you were tired of trying to be "good" and got to point where you did not care anymore.

Is this your impression of Christianity? Or the one you get from Christians:) ?

You don't need to be "religious" to want to or try to "be good."
    Go ahead, research science, Buhdism, Islam, Wicca, Judaism, Atheism.
    You can work to be "good" no matter what you call it.

Now,

Think about it,

Jesus forgave those who crucified Him, certainly they were sinners and not being good.

Jesus granted clemency to the thief crucified at His side just for his belief. Certainly he was a sinner and had no time to be "good."

Jesus did not condemn, but rescued the women caught in the act of adultery. Certainly she was not "good."

Jesus told parables the lost sheep, the prodigal son, the lost coin. There was rejoicing when these were found.

I hope you find your answers.

Grace and Peace

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Faith Healers [ 23 Answers ]

Hello all, Does faith Healers really heal people? Here is my take on it, what is your opinion? First an examples about faith Healers" A South Carolina, U.S.A. faith-healing session called a “healing explosion” has resulted in a lawsuit against two Texas faith healers. A North Carolina...

I want my faith back. [ 9 Answers ]

I was brought up Roman Catholic, I was baptised and had my first communion... never made my confirmation. When I was little I was amazed with church, with the songs, the readings, the praying, everything. As I got older, it's like my faith is not strong anymore. I mean I believe in God and...

Faith [ 7 Answers ]

Does anyone have any advice on having faith? Faith to make it through a rough time? Faith that all will be well in the end? A scripture? Kind words? Anything? How do you cope? Please.

Bad faith [ 7 Answers ]

How do you handle a contract where you are a independent contracter for 3 years in which the people in the contract are supposed to have you on there insurance for those three years. And I paid a surcharge every day for those three years for the insurance then after a accident I found out I was...

Have a little faith love will come to you [ 3 Answers ]

Need singer/ actual title to this 1950s vaguely CW song. Sounds like Slim Whitman, singer breaks into sort of a yodel in chours: You played a game/ got caught you should take it with a grain of salt have a little faith and love will come to you You may be lonely/ you may be blue your one...

View more questions Search