Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 12, 2007, 07:33 AM
    Transfer balance vs paying down
    What, if any affect, will there be to my credit score by using a balance transfer(for lower interest rates), as opposed to simply paying the balance down normally?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 12, 2007, 08:05 AM
    Paying down a credit card debt leaves you with less outstanding debt than if you transfer the balance to another card. Consequently, it is better for your credit score to pay down the debt rather than transferring it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 12, 2007, 08:07 AM
    If you transfer to an existing account, there shouldn't be any effect. If you transfer to a new account there may be an affect since the available credit goes up.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 12, 2007, 08:55 AM
    My goal is to primarily reduce total interest and secondly to improve my score. By simply paying down, I subsequently incur less outstanding debt, without decreasing the applied interest rate. If I transfer to a lower rate card and pay it down, I would think will increase my score, but it does leave a card with no balance...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trial Balance & Balance Sheets [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am using Microsoft Money to do my husband's small company's books (Canada) If it's a sole proprietorship, do I really need a trial balance and balance sheet? Thanks Jeanne

Can not get trial balance to balance [ 1 Answers ]

For my end of month trial balance I have these accounts with these figures Cash - Debit - 273.82 Parts - Debit - 300.93 Service Revenue - Credit - 349.25 Sales tax payable - Credit - 22.39 L. R. Capital - Credit - 146.58 L. R. Drawing Debit - 104.50 Sales - Credit - 315.66 Utilities...

If T-Accounts Balance does this mean balance sheet & P&L work correctly? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Just wondering been having some problems with my Balance Sheet balancing, I was wondering if the Trial Balance balances, does that mean that the balance sheet will balance? (given that I do everything correctly? ) Also just a quick question while I'm asking, regarding depreciation in...

Paying twice [ 1 Answers ]

I opened a account with a furniture company many years ago (apex 10yrs ago) and I thought my bill was paid in full I just received a letter from a collection company telling me that I have this outstanding bill with them I told them that I do not have my paper work from the furniture company.I...

View more questions Search