Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vinay100000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2007, 01:11 AM
    Melt a very hard granite stone using acids
    Please tell me how to melt hard granite stones using chemicals on the surface of stones.tell me were I can get that type of chemicals.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2007, 04:08 AM
    You can probably melt granite with a reaction like the thermite reaction: Thermite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This will be dependent on the type of granite though, as it has a large range of melting point values. Thermite can reach 2500C, while the melting point of granite is normally under 2000C
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2007, 08:52 AM
    Received in e-mail:

Quote Originally Posted by vinay100000
    hello sir i was ask a question on melting of granite.you was tell thermite is usefull to us.but that is a very big fire.i want chemicals like acids or others.do you know about that please tell me sir
    Ah okay. I was confused by your use of the word "melt". Melting is a transition from solid to liquid by an increase in temperature. You are looking for something that would dissolve or corrode the granite?

I will have a think and get back to you here :)
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2007, 10:47 AM
    Received in e-mail:

Quote Originally Posted by vinay100000
    hi i want create holes in hard stones(granite or any other) with the depth of 3 to 4 inches without any sounds as quick as possible.
    You're probably looking at using a very strong corrosive like higly concentrated sulphuric acid. You can see the effects of this corrosion on ancient marble statues that have slowly been corroded by acid rain.

It won't be a fast process. I think the most quick but fairly unsafe way will be thermite. The second quickets would be to drill using a tungten or diamond tipped drillbit. And chemical corrosion will be both hazardous and slow.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting a laptop and an xbox to the router using I line [ 2 Answers ]

How can I connect a laptop and xbox to a router using only 1 line with out losing strength

Well Pump Capacitor Melt Down [ 1 Answers ]

I have a jacuzzi well pump down about 65 feet. The control panel has two starting capacitors (one oblong metal and one round plastic) and a relay. The black capacitor continues to melt down and loose all of it's oil. I replace it and it lasts a short while before it melts again. I have...

View more questions Search