Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    happyfhc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2007, 10:38 AM
    Options when selling house with net loss?
    Hi All -

We just received an offer for our home which will result in a net loss of 40K out of our pockets. My husband and I are getting divorced, I want to move closer to my work, I can't afford the house much longer, and I just want out. Our neighbors who own the Same house turned down two offers early on because they thought the offers were too low - and now their home is priced 80K less than when it first went up. I DON'T want to turn down an offer.

We have never been late on a payment and have perfect credit. Is there anyway the bank will convert the remaining 40K to an unsecured loan?

I just found out that I cannot write off the capital loss, I thought I could. Is that correct?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Oh - I'm in California, if it matters... market stinks..

Thanks!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 10, 2007, 11:36 AM
    Talk to the bank about a short sale. In a short sale they will forgive the difference between the sale price and the balance on the mortgage. You then get a 1099 and have to pay taxes on that amount as income.

If they won't do it, then you will have to work out something with them about getting a loan or whatever to pay off the balance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Selling a house [ 2 Answers ]

I have heard that a fireplace adds 12% to the value of house when selling. Can anyone confirm this, because it sounds like a lot?

Net Income/ Net Loss [ 2 Answers ]

How does an employer calculate his or her payroll tax deduction for net income or net loss?

Selling our house [ 4 Answers ]

My husband filed ch. 13 in 2005 in Tennessee. He did not include our 1st and 2nd mortgages in his bankruptcy (we pay them outside of the plan). I did not file bankruptcy. We are both in title on the house and we are both on the 1st and 2nd mortgages. We now want to sell our house and I have been...

View more questions Search