Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jchatelain Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2007, 10:23 AM
    Briggs Engine Has little power
    I have a 16HP Briggs engine on a Roper Lawn Tractor, It will run OK when just traveling, but if I engage the deck, it dies. What is the best next coarse of action.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2007, 06:05 PM
    Hmmm, sounds as though the governor may not be operating properly, could be governor spring off. Could be a seat safety bad. Yes the seat safety being bad will allow the unit to start and run, and die when the blades are engaged. Give me more info.
    jchatelain Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2007, 07:12 AM
    Ok, we are getting some where now. I can manually actuate the flapper on the carb and keep it alive, so it may be in the governor. I don't know if I have a spring, will have to look at tonight. What about the seat safety, how do I check that? I very much appreciate your help.

Jim
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2007, 05:45 PM
    The "tang" or lever, that touches the seat safety may be bent a little and not making good contact with the lever. As you engage the unit and are going across the ground the bumping can cause the switch to loose contact momentarily.
    I think we are on to something with the governor though. Look close to the carb, and you will see some springs, be sure they are hooked up.
    If you are setting still, and running the engine at top rpms, and engage the blades, do you hear a momentary difference in the sound of the engine, it should momentarily pick up rpm, then go back to the beginning rpm. This is so hard to tell someone how to test in words.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

14.5 Briggs and Stratton engine [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone please tell me how to adjust the valves on a 14.5 over head valve engine? Thanks, roustaboutx

Briggs engine [ 1 Answers ]

I have a briggs 23hp on my mower. Many times when I try to start,it tries but doesn't. If I turn engine bach 1/4 turn by had at fan cover it starts fine. The battery is new and fully charged. What could cause this? Thanks

12 HP Briggs engine [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 12 HP briggs and stratton engine that will start when choked and then only run while between choke and full throttle position. I have cleaned carb. And checked fuel supply. Any Suggestions?

View more questions Search