Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TOTV Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2007, 03:34 PM
    Open neutral
    I have just changed my switches and plugs and have found that one plug on an outlet is showing open neutral. The problem plug is the one that is controlled by a switch. When the switch is off my tester shows "open neutral" but when the switch is on it show "correct". The other "hot" plug on the outlet shows "correct" always. I have recheck all of the neutrals on the circuit and they all are tight and connected. What else can I check and how dangerous is this. Thank you.
    pelle Posts: 96, Reputation: 0

Sep 7, 2007, 05:15 PM
    Sounds like the neutral is switched.. Usually the white wire is neutral and black is power.. if the switch is suppose to turn the outlet on and off and the tester is a plugin type (granted there are many types of testers) when the switch is off the outlet should show nothing when tested.. recheck the switch and see if the white wire or black is being switched.. It should be the black or power..
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2007, 10:18 AM
    Also check white wire is on white screw, and hot on dark screw.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Open neutral in several rooms [ 11 Answers ]

I have discovered that there is an open neutral condition in three of my home's rooms. First, one of the bedrooms has an open neutral. I tested three receptacles on one side of the room. The end of the line is fine. The first two receptacles show the open neutral in the bottom outlet; the...

GFI - Open Neutral [ 1 Answers ]

I read through the previous question and answers asked on here, but it did not help me solve this problem. I recencly replaced 5 GFI Receptacles in my kitchen and bathroom. All were only one white, one black, and one ground wire and I attached them to the line section on the back of the GFI, they...

Suspected open/loose service neutral [ 1 Answers ]

I had a BGE (local power company) service person come out to investigate what I believe to be an open/loose neutral problem. The service person did not believe there to be a problem. (and didn't even seem to understand that power traveled in a loop and needs a return path) When a clamp-on amp...

Lighted Switch & Open Neutral [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently attempting to use a lighted rocker switch to control a split receptacle. The wiring looks right but when I power up and test the outlet, it shows an open neutral (light on tester is just barely on) when the switch is turned off. In the on position everything test out correct. ...

Open Neutral [ 2 Answers ]

I need some expert assistance... I think that I have an open neutral on the power company's side. They came out to look at it today and didn't fix anything, and I would like someone else to evaluate my conclusion before I call them tomorrow. This is a commercial building that I am...

View more questions Search