Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shanni4 Posts: 25, Reputation: 4

Sep 7, 2007, 02:10 PM
    Dentist or hygenist?
    I have a strong desire to work in the dental field. At one time I was a dental assistant. Then I became a stay at home mom. Now with all the kids in school, I want to either go to work or school. Here's the problem. I'm 42 is it too late to become a hygenist? I worked for dentists and it seemed that the hygenists they hire are all young. Plus I would have to go to school for a few years so I wouldn't even be ready to work until I was maybe 45. At the local college where they give cleanings I ask every year the ages of the students and the oldest is usually late thirties but most are in their 20's. I believe I could be hired at 45 as a hygenist but only if I had experience. I've been going there for around 12 years and stupid me thought that I was too old every time to take the course. But then again I did have little ones at home too. And really no one to count on for babysitting. I have been thinking of assisting again and then as a orthodontal assistant. I think I have to go to school for that too. I did go to school for assisting. Or should I just go for the whole thing and become a dentist. I would love to learn everything about dentistry. I even clean my own and my kids teeth. To you dentists out there. What is your opinion? Am I too old? How many years does it take to become a dentist and what's the cost?? I live a half hour away from Chicago.
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2007, 02:18 PM
    I'm not a dentist but I'm of the mindset that you are never too old to pursue your dreams. If you are good and have a great passion then that's what matters when someone hires you not age. In fact here in the US we have laws against age discrimination no one can ask you how old you are or press you for your birth year. So age should not matter. It sounds as if you love teeth which is wonderful. If you want to get into the field as soon as you can maybe becoming a hygenist might be better since it takes less time then becoming a dentist.

Regardless of what you choose I wish you luck. You are never too old to find what you love and do it. When I was in college my friends mother decided to pursue her love of photography and get an Bachelors in Fine Arts in Photography. Her mom became a freshman for the first time at 50! So have heart others have gone before you and flourished.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 7, 2007, 02:46 PM
    I started grad school at the age of 43. I figured in three years I would be 46 no matter if I had the degree or not, so why not! It was fun and has given me another career possibility if I decide to leave Libraryland. (I live a half hr or so from Chicago too. Would you go to the UIC dental school?)
    Treeny Posts: 229, Reputation: 20

Sep 7, 2007, 02:59 PM
    I think you should research online, how long is school to become a dentist.
    Think about this, in 5 yrs you could be doing what you are now or you could be well on your way to becoming a dentist. Im not sure how long the school is,
    I would guess at least 5 yrs. Are you able to juggle , home, kids, school,
    And all that comes with it. Its all a matter of how bad you want it and if the circumstances that come along with it is worth it to you.
    As far as the age, that should not hold you back, a lot of people goback to school.
    Some people go when they are done raising their kids and start a hole new life.
    Age is not an issue, there is no age limit in college.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Bad Dentist [ 3 Answers ]

I took my son to the Dentist 2 years ago. The dentist did some horrible things to my son. He did a root canal, that didn't needed to be done caused his tooth to split and half of it to fall out. He put my son through hell. I told the dentist that we wouldn't be back. The dentist charged us for...

Really bad Dentist! [ 11 Answers ]

I took my 6 year old son to the dentist last month for a checkup. The Doctor has a policy of not letting parents in the room while he is working on the children. I didn't like it, but saw all the other children going in with no problem, so reluctantly agreed. 10 minutes. Later my son came out...

I truly believe my dentist let me suffer carelessly [ 3 Answers ]

With all due respect to those in the dental field, I believe that my dentist let me suffer needlessly. I went in for some fillings everything seemed to go well, but when I went home it felll right out. Shortly after the numbing wore off I was in a kind of pain I've never felt before even when I had...

First Dentist Visit [ 1 Answers ]

I have several cavities in my mouth and my top two wisdom teeth are broken (almost half of each of them is completely gone). Up until yesterday, nothing has bothered me as far as having pain. I was chewing a piece of gum yesterday and bit my cheek really hard - now the wisdom tooth on that side...

View more questions Search