Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    margarita_momma Posts: 299, Reputation: 46

Sep 7, 2007, 12:27 PM
    Is this even a religion?
    Okay here is a little background...

During my entire childhood, my dad made me go to church. Backwoods Southern Baptist Church! I had drilled into my head everyday that I was going to hell if I didn't do this or if I didn't do that. They preached about the fiery pits of hell and the wonder of Heaven and God but yet no one could answer the questions I had. Every time I would ask a question, the only response I got was, "Don't question God's word!" After I graduated high school and moved away from my hometown, I did my own research on the origin of the bible and the christian faith. I finally decided that it sounds like a bunch of bull and I have completely given up on christianity all together. Certain things in the bible never add up and, in my opinion, the bible is just full of opinions of man and fables told in their teachings.

Even though I have decided I don't believe in Jesus and the christian faith, I still believe in a God or a higher power. I also have a strong belief in Karma and that everything happens for a reason. I am just wondering if there are other people out there with these same kind of beliefs. I live in a small town and when people find out I don't believe in God and the "Lord Jesus Christ", they freak out, ask a million questions, and try to convert me back to christianity. I have gotten a lot of this from my dad lately and just hearing that someone else has the same beliefs as me will help me to not feel so alone and different just because of the way I choose to believe.
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2007, 12:33 PM
    Hey Momma! I believe the same things. Firmbeliever posted this cool quiz that can help you see where your beliefs fit into organized religions. My beliefs highly matched three religions 2 I had never even heard of. It's a pretty nifty little quiz here is the link

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/other-...t=firmbeliever
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 7, 2007, 12:41 PM
    I've said before that I don't believe in organized religion. In my opinion organized religion is simply a tool to impose morality, to explain what science can't and to provide a crutch of salvation for those who want to believe.

I don't feel I need such a crutch, I believe in what science can prove and I have my own moral code that follows the judeo-christian ethic.

Don't know if that helps you are not. But my point is that one doesn't need organized religion to be a good person.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do you really have to have a religion? [ 11 Answers ]

Is having a religion really important is / is it something you really need?? :(

Why religion? [ 47 Answers ]

I was just wondering why those of you with religions chose to believe in it. That is other then it being what your family has done. Just wondering because I myself am not religious at all, so I'm not trying to bash on anyone and I also don't want to be converted. Thanks, Eric

Religion [ 1 Answers ]

What are some Historical figures and events of Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism , Daoism?

Religion [ 9 Answers ]

Well, I was not raised in church, My in-laws quilted me into it when I was about 21. I believed every thing I heard for years, I tried to "prove" it. I felt like I had to see evidence of the spirit. I rasied two kids in church until they were old even to make up their own mind. THEN I started...

Religion [ 1 Answers ]

What is the official teaching of the catholic church regarding people of other faiths ability to get into heven

View more questions Search