Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pos Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2007, 12:07 AM
    Up flush bathroom drain and vent
    Hi all

I am looking at building a basement bath and the drain and vents seem simple, but I am concerned.

I have purchased a saniflow unit
    I have raised the floor 7" and will cover it with 5/8 plywood
    The room is just over 10x10

There are a few issues that I need help with

1. Venting... 1-1/2
    The only available vent is up through the floor and into the laundry room. I have exposed the plumbing and can tie into the vertical vent pipe that leads to the roof.
    The issue is, The vent pipe for the tub will need to go under the floor 2' vertical for a few feet then travel
    along 3 walls that will total 17' with a ell at each corner before it will go up through the floor.
    There is plenty of room for a rise of 1/4" per '
    Also the saniflow unit and the sink will need to connect to the pipe as it goes by

Is this too long of a run with too many bends?

2. Toilet... 3"pipe
    The toilet will be within 5' of the saniflow unit so I do not need to vent the toilet

Is this correct?

3. The tub drain 1-1/2 will need to take a small jog around the toilet drain in order to reach the pump. This can be done with 45s

Is this OK?

I hope this makes sense. It is so easy for me to see it and yet so hard to type it.
    Thank you for any help
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 6, 2007, 09:28 AM
    1. Venting... 1-1/2
    The only available vent is up through the floor and into the laundry room. I have exposed the plumbing and can tie into the vertical vent pipe that leads to the roof.
    The issue is, The vent pipe for the tub will need to go under the floor 2' vertical for a few feet then travel
    Along 3 walls that will total 17' with a ell at each corner before it will go up through the floor.
    There is plenty of room for a rise of 1/4" per '
    also the saniflow unit and the sink will need to connect to the pipe as it goes by

Is this too long of a run with too many bends?"

Most bathroom groups are roughed in like this.
    Toilet connects to sewer main or the stack vent. Lavatory connects to toilet drain and runs a vent off the top the stubout tee out the roof or revents back into a dry vent in the attic.. The toilet wet vents through the lavatory vent and the tub/shower connects to the lavatory drain and is wet vented by it. This is a normal rough in and is acceptable both by local and state codes and also The Standard Plumbing Code Book in 90 percent of the country. Check your local codes.to make sure you're not in the excluded 10 percent.. The vent off the lavatory may be run out the roof or revented back into a dry vent in the attic or if you're reventing back into a fixtures dry vent you must make your connection at least 6 inches over that fixtures flood rim. However, a separate dedicated vent MUST be run out the roof for the pit.
    2. Toilet... 3"pipe
    The toilet will be within 5' of the saniflow unit so I do not need to vent the toilet
    Is this correct?"
    Our codes mandate a 4" line under the slab to pick up the toilet. Your toilet will be vented by the lavatory vent.

"3. The tub drain 1-1/2 will need to take a small jog around the toilet drain in order to reach the pump. This can be done with 45s
    Is this OK?"

Our codes mandate that no pipe under the slab be less then 2" and the toilet should be 4". You are undersized at 1 1/2" and 3". Adding a dog leg to the drain will end upo costing you in blockages.
    Good luck, Tom

Sep 6, 2007, 04:46 PM
    Tom thank you for the answer.

In my case there is no stack to connect to. The pump discharge (1" pvc) will connect to the existing 3" that is directly overhead and runs horizontal to the septic.

I will raise the floor 7" so that I do not have to cut into the slab. In this case can I use 3" and 1-1/2 pipes?

My saniflow pump has three inlets, one 3" and two 1-1/2 each on either side of the 3".

The way that I would like to vent this is without any wet vents. All drains connect to the macerating pump and each drain vent will connect near the ceiling and exit up through the ceiling to the roof vent

I very much appreciate your help and I am not trying argue at all. I just want to keep it simple
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 7, 2007, 10:38 AM
    "I will raise the floor 7" so that I do not have to cut into the slab. In this case can I use 3" and 1-1/2 pipes?"
    This works according to my code.

"my saniflow pump has three inlets, one 3" and two 1-1/2 each on either side of the 3"."
    Not quite so. Your saniflow system has one inlet,(3 inch) a discharge pipe and a vent.
    You will have two separate vents in your system. One venting the fixtures that may be revented back into a existing house vent and a separate DEDICATED VENT that runs to the outsider from the pit. You may not connect the two together. Regards, Tom

Sep 7, 2007, 02:44 PM
    Thanks for the help

I need to have 2 vents. Got it

The pit does have three inlets (all at the bottom) plus one vent and one 1" discharge (out the top) totaling 5
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 7, 2007, 02:58 PM
    You should only have to use one inlet. The other two can be capped off unless you wish to drain the lavatory into one and the shower into the other. If you go that way then you will have to run a vent on the shower as well but that can be revented back into the lavatory vent. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When we flush the toilet our drain in basement overflows [ 6 Answers ]

Help! This is our first house , we are broke and our drain on the basement floor is overflowing with sewage when we flush the toilet. My husband tried to snake the drain but could'nt find the hole . I poured that Rid-X stuff down in the toilet . What else can we do? Please helP[ ...

Vent diagram - does this meet code (see pic)? Vent runs below actual drain [ 4 Answers ]

The schematic below should make it clear the configuration I would like to use. Basically, I would like to keep the vent under the floor for a little ways, so it pops up in a better location. I cannot easily move the 2" drain location going down and would rather not go straight up from the...

Basement Bathroom Rough In - Any Feedback on the Drain/Vent Setup? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Attempting to rough in my basement bathroom. There is an existing ejector pump and some plumbing but I am going to move things around a bit and make the new bathroom bigger (the old bathroom was ripped out due to flooding). My question is around the overall plan for the rough in of...

Connecting dryer vent to bathroom vent? [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone out there know if I can connect my dryer vent to my bathroom vent using a t-connection? Thanks Me

New Basement Bathroom - Drain and Vent [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, We would like to install a new bathroom (well, half bath = sink + toilet) in our basement. Currently, there is a toilet down there, sitting on a cast iron wye off the main sewer line for the house. We want to move the toilet by approx. 8 feet. The final position would be directly above...

View more questions Search