Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harleymama1955 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2007, 03:44 PM
    Itching Aussie
    I have been told that my deaf aussie has a flea allergy. Each year about this time she starts to scratch and bite at her upper arms and sides. Is there anything over the counter that I can give her? She starts to run a fever after awhile and I wind up with her at the vet. Is there anythink I can bath her in or give her to relieve the itching?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2007, 04:35 PM
    You can give her Benadryl, up to 2 mg every 8 hours for the itching.

You should be taking a more pro active course with the fleas. If you don't want to spend the $90 a year on Revolution I do to keep them off my old Lab with a flea allergy, at least try some of the over the counter stuff. I can't say it has worked well for me or I have seen many positive reports, but it might help your dog.

As a rule, I think bathing causes more problems that it solves. I feed a decent chow, brush regularly, and seldom if ever bathe a dog.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 04:36 PM
    I am assuming you have her on a monthly tick/flea preventative such as Frontline Plus, Advantix, Revolution,. If it is a true allergy (vet diagnosed?), speak to your vet about giving her Benadryl. Most vets don't have a problem with giving this to dogs and actually recommend it to relieve the itching/allergic reaction, but you should make sure your vet knows that you are thinking about doing this and get his opinion regarding dosage. They rarely charge for phone calls. If her weight is in the 40-50 lb range like most Aussies, I would give her 3/4 of a tablet to one full tablet, but again, find out what your vet recommends.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 04:38 PM
    LOL. Sorry labman, we were posting at the same time. Harleymama, I agree with labman regarding the baths. I should have mentioned it. The benadryl will resolve the itchiness. No need for a bath. A good brushing & the monthly preventive is all she needs.
    harleymama1955 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2007, 11:57 AM
    Thank you for both comments, I do a monthly preventative flea and she has been diagnosed with a flea allergy by my vet. She doesn't have fleas, she has been biten by one and is allergic which starts the itching. Thank you again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Itching and blisters [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I've been having itching and blisters with puss in them down in my vaginal area and I need answers. I'm too scared to go tell anyone, and I don't like having a doctor looking in between my legs. So if I want this to be treated can I just get something from the store or do I have to suck it up...

Itching sensation [ 3 Answers ]

What does it mean when one's a** hole itches?

Itching incessantly [ 21 Answers ]

Ok, out with it... it's my nipple. About 3 weeks ago my nipple was irritated: itchy. I checked it out and noticed a teeny tiny little scab dead center on it... and like a guy I picked it off :p Since then it's been itching like crazy! :( Also, sometimes when it's itchy, I notice it's...

Itching [ 1 Answers ]

Could you please tell me why I keep itching all over from my head to my toes I have not used are eaten anything different but my head and hands legs feel as though they are on fire but no rash just go red thank you:mad:

Itching [ 1 Answers ]

When I shave my vagina... it starts icthing... do you know what I can use to shave myself

View more questions Search