Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    englishdoll Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2007, 05:52 AM
    Honda civic 91 accelerator didn't work at light, now won't start
    Hi, Just like everyone, there seems to be a problem with my Honda.
    It had problems starting and wouldn't always start, I would have to pop the clutch, sometimes it would idle low and then sometimes too high...
    I decided to finally do something about it and changed the spark plugs. That day it drove fantastic! It started every time and the engine seemed smoother. No problems at all, I thought it was fixed until I stopped at the traffic lights. When the lights turned green I accelerated and the car did nothing! It didn't move at all! The engine was still running but it wouldn't budge. I turned off the engine and tried to restart but now the engine wouldn't work and we had to be towed home.
    I called a mechanic and he checked and changed battery and Dist Cap. He said that the fuel pressure was fine and compression bad.
    Compression was 160, 100, 100, 116.
    Mechanic said could be head gasket or cracked head.

I have had a car that had a cracked head before and it would overheat and get water in the oil. My Honda is not doing this so I do not want to pay out to fix it, if this is not the problem.

Could anybody please help, do you have any suggestions? Thanks to all, I eagerly await to get my car back on the road.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2007, 01:35 PM
    Minimum compression should be around 120 psi, with no more than 20% variation. Determine whether due to valves or rings.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

93 honda civic gauges don't work [ 8 Answers ]

My speedo won't work, whole gauge cluster messed up, please help

1999 Honda Civic AC doesn't work [ 2 Answers ]

My friend tried to recharge the AC on my car since AC was not really strong in my car. I think he put too much Freon. Because of that, he said there is a hole in the AC compressor. He told me that I need to replace the AC compressor. Is there any way to fix it without replacing AC? Otherwise,...

Honda Civic 94 won't start until check light goes off [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I'm recently having trouble with my civic GLI starting. When I turn the key the orange check light comes on and stays on for a minute or so before you hear the fuel pump run and the light goes off. If I try start the car before the light goes off it just cranks and won't fire. So I'm...

Transmissions that will work on a 99 honda civic [ 1 Answers ]

Can u tell me all the transmissions that will work on a 99 honda civic ex (d16y8) And will a gsr tranny work.

97 Honda Civic/lights and AC won't work at the same time [ 3 Answers ]

Help! My 1997 Honda Civic is acting up. It was raining yesterday and I had the AC going on defrost. When I turned my lights on, the AC went off. When I turned my lights off, the AC came back on. They won't work together. The battery is a lifetime battery, it starts up just fine, it's just...

View more questions Search