Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nikkitoney61 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2007, 10:06 AM
    Collection agency-law firm placed lien on property
    I just read a post saying credit card companies usually cannot place a lien on property. I had a credit collector for a cc company place a lien on my property in December 06. Is this legal
    A summons was sent to me in October 2006, I responded, they said I didn't. I made several payments to the law firm. In early spring, they served me with a right to execute personal property. I learned of the lien on my primary residence when I tried to refinance in the Spring. THey said it was placed on the property in December of 2006. I live in NC
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Sep 3, 2007, 10:28 AM
    Hello Nikki
    What exactley did the cc company do and what was the amount? I thought it would be unlikely they would put a lien on personl property but I don't know give us details and what state you are in
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 3, 2007, 11:02 AM
    As slow says you need to give us details for us to help. We need to know why you think a lien was placed, where (state?) you live, whether the cc got a judgement against you, the nature of the property (primary residence or what) and anything else you might think pertinent.

Sep 3, 2007, 11:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikkitoney61
    I just read a post saying credit card companies usually cannot place a lien on property. I had a credit collector for a cc company place a lien on my property in December 06. Is this legal
    A summons was sent to me in October 2006, I responded, they said I didn't. I made several payments to the law firm. In early spring, they served me with a right to execute personal property. I learned of the lien on my primary residence when I tried to refinance in the Spring. THey said it was placed on the property in December of 2006. I live in NC
    I added the info to my original post. Please let me know what you think?

Sep 3, 2007, 11:35 AM
    When you said you responed did you mean you went to court? And if so what happened?
    Did the cc company get a judgement and if so how much? The more information we have the more we can try to help you

Sep 3, 2007, 12:29 PM
    How did you respond? It appears they obtained a default judgement against you. However NC law exempts up to $10K of your homestead against unsecured debt. So it would appear that the lien is invalid.

You need to go back to the court and file a Motion to Vacate on the grounds that you were never given due process. Also a motion to vacate the lien on the ground that it violates 1C‑1601. What property exempt; waiver; exceptions of the NC State law.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 3, 2007, 12:30 PM
    Ok, first in general the court will not issue a order if they are not allowed to.

What happened, you would have received notice of a court hearing, if you did not apper they win automatically and get a judgement against you.
    Many states do not allow a non secured deb to be used to attach properties.

But some states will allow it,

Sep 3, 2007, 12:54 PM
    How do I go about filing a motion to vacate & a motion to vacate the lien? I answered them in writing to a PO box. THey claim they never received it. They did file a judgement, but does that give them the right to put a lien against my house?

Thank you for all of your help!

Sep 3, 2007, 01:10 PM
    You answered to the wrong place. If they filed notice of a default judgement you had to file with the court. And that's where you file the motions I mentioned. You have to find the court that issued the judgement and file with them. You can talk to the court clerk about the exact procedures.

They didn't just file a judgement, they filed suit against you and when you didn't inform the court that you wanted to defend against they got a default judgement. Under what I read from NC law, it wasn't illegal for them to file a lien, but you had the right to exempt some property and you didn't do so, apparently out of ignorance.

Sep 3, 2007, 01:36 PM
    Thank you for calling me ignorant.

Sep 3, 2007, 03:15 PM
    I think what Scottgem meant was you didn't know you could exempt some property because you were ingorant of the law I really think you took it the wrong way he didn't say you were ignorant Scottgem always gives accourate and straightforward advice

Sep 3, 2007, 03:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikkitoney61
    thank you for calling me ignorant.
    Apparently you took that wrong. Ignorance is simply a lack of knowledge, there are loads of things I'm ignorant about. I didn't call YOU ignorant, just stating that there were things you did because you didn't know any better. There is nothing wrong with being ignorant, its remaining ignorant that's the crime.

You have taken steps here to correct that ignorance and we are trying to help you do it.

Now you need to take the advice we've given you and try to get this thing corrected.

Sep 3, 2007, 03:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Apparently you took that wrong. Ignorance is simply a lack of knowledge, there are loads of things I'm ignorant about. I didn't call YOU ignorant, just stating that there were things you did because you didn't know any better. There is nothing wrong with being ignorant, its remaining ignorant that's the crime.

You have taken steps here to correct that ignorance and we are trying to help you do it.

Now you need to take the advice we've given you and try to get this thing corrected.
    slowandeasy agrees :very well put!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to avoid a judgment with a collection firm [ 9 Answers ]

I need help in a case about a vehicle I thought was repossessed. I had sold it to my ex-boyfriend who never made payment on it. When it got towed away, he told me it was repossessed. I have taken out a lien on him in his own state (NC) over 2 years ago, but nobody has served the guy down there. ...

Collection agency [ 1 Answers ]

I have a bill collection agency that keeps calling me. Its been more then 4 year since this happen. Now there calling my family member and telling them and sending them letters can they do this tell every one all or business.:

Law Firm/Collection Agency [ 7 Answers ]

I owe money to Capital One and it is my debt under my own name... not married. I do not have a checking account but I do have a savings account with my husband... can they put a freeze on that or on my husband's personal account? The collection agency has turned it over to a law firm.

Collection agency [ 1 Answers ]

Can a collection agency add interest to my debt in New York State?

What are my rights against Law Firms for collection agency [ 4 Answers ]

I am not perfect and have had some health issues so I am not working so I cannot pay any debts I owe at this time. So I am being sued by 2 Law Firms for credit cards both happening around the same time. I live in New Jersey. First Law Firm sends me a summons around end of Oct and I answer the...

View more questions Search