Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Haystack45 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2007, 08:01 AM
    Home & Garden
    I had an iron to trip a breaker,I reset the 20 AMP single pole breaker and checked the gfi still have no power to the bedroom and second bathroom checked all of the breakers and
    They read 122 volts what is next ?
    Gregisteredtrademark Posts: 226, Reputation: 35

Aug 31, 2007, 08:50 AM
    Replace the breaker
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Aug 31, 2007, 09:22 AM
    When you say you checked the breakers & they read 122 volts, do you mean you checked them on the load side ( where the branch circuit wire connects) & the breaker on? If you're getting voltage then the breaker is OK. Most likely the GFI is shot. These are kind of sensitive and it has been my experience that after they trip several times they won't reset. Sometimes won't reset even if never tripped, maybe due to age, etc... Since you're apparently able to measure voltage, I would check for voltage at the LINE side of the GFI before replacing.
    Could be other problems in the circuit, loose connections, etc.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2007, 09:30 AM
    Before you replace the breaker, carefully throw it all the way to off, and then back on. If that doesn't do it, check to see if power is getting to the outlet. The breaker could be working but not the GFCI.

To do simple checks like this you do need some tools. A test light, a meter, or a voltage detector might be the best place to start with. I came across the niftiest gadget for trouble shooting, a voltage detector. They work through the insulation of wires. There are several brands. I have a GB Instruments GVD-505A, less than $15 at Home Depot. Touch it to a hot wire, and the end glows red. Find the doodad that lights it on one side, and not the other, and you have the culprit. You do not have to open up housings and expose electrical contacts. You are looking at where your hand is, not where the meter is. Most people are capable of doing repairs and will get it going and not get hurt if they use a little sense. The voltage detector makes it even easier.

This is the sort of job the voltage detector is great for. You can see if power is reaching the outlet without ever touching a screw driver. If the detector doesn't light up at the outlet at all, then you can think about changing the breaker. Sometime they do go bad when they trip. Replacing the breaker means removing the cover exposing the contacts of the main feed which are hot even with the breaker off.

If the voltage detector lights up, but the outlet isn't hot, turn the breaker off, remove the cover and the outlet. Check to makes sure all the wires are tight. Turn the breaker back on and check for power across the line terminals. If it does, and the outlet is dead, the outlet is bad. Instal a new one being careful to get all the wires back where they were.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home and garden [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for a manahtee- mailbox at a reasonable price.

Garden Tub Faucet - Home of Legend mobile home [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My sister has a leaky garden tub faucet. We can't determine how to access under the faucet. There is no access door. A closet is behind the faucet. When we remove the wallboard, we find the distance from the opening to the faucet too far away to access. Can you help? Thanks, Mary

Home and garden [ 1 Answers ]

I have a weedeater 12.5 lawn tractor, the mower starts and runs until I take my foot off the clutch.When I take my foot off the clutch the mower stalls. Just changed the belt, blades and battery.Can some one tell me what the problem is. Thanks

Lawn & Garden [ 2 Answers ]

I just got ripped off by a landscaper. He installed my new lawn. I won't go into major detail about it. I have patchy grass. I know it takes a few years for it to fill out (I think). He left me high and dry. My lawn is full of weeds. Should I use weed & feed at this time of year on a new...

View more questions Search