Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ludermae Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2007, 09:56 AM
    Credit card judgements
    I live in SC, what items are exempt from being sold in a property seize.
    allbut8 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2007, 10:58 AM
    Fortunately, South Carolina is one of few states where wages cannot be garnished to pay for credit card debt.

You will need to check your state laws on property exemptions. All situations are different. Here is a general summary:

Homestead
    $5,000 homestead exemption ($10,000 if multiple owners).

Wages
    100 percent of earnings for personal services.

Automobiles
    $1,200 in one motor vehicle.

Other Property
    $2,500 in household furnishings, goods, clothing, appliances, books, animals, crops, or musical instruments; $500 in jewelry; cash and other liquid assets totaling $1,000; $750 in any implements, professional books, or tools of the trade; all professionally prescribed health aids.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 30, 2007, 11:02 AM
    Generally a primary residence can't be attached for unsecured debt. Most creditors, don't want property, they will only go after cash assets.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit Card judgements [ 5 Answers ]

I am in the process of getting a divorce and mine and my spouses credit cards are way out of control, I figure I am going to have to file Bankruptcy but I am worried about the credit cards having such a high balance. Is there a certain dollar amount that they will take further action like filing a...

Judgements on a credit report [ 2 Answers ]

How does a judgement get to your credit report? If I had a judgement against me, the court did not ask for my SSN. How will the credit agencies find out about the judgement? Does the plaintiff have to do something to make the credit agencies aware of the judgement? Thanks! Jw

No credit. Need suggestions for selecting a credit card with low APR [ 2 Answers ]

Hai, I don't possess a credit card till now. I am planning to buy a car by applying loan. My friends advised me that if I pay my loan premium using a credit card, it would help building my credit history. They also told me to look for 0% APR (any such offer for the first year) or less APR to...

Credit Card Judgements - MBNA & Citi [ 3 Answers ]

I have received 3 notices on 3 different credit card accounts that I cannot pay. I have received a notice on all 3 accounts from attorney firms that collect debt. All of these accounts are in my name. None of these accounts are in my wife's name. I live in the State of California. Can these...

Credit card judgements [ 1 Answers ]

I have a collection agency that is after me for a credit card debt that I owe. I'm not looking to not pay the credit card company, I'm just waiting to come across some money Where I can pay off the balance altogether in full. I keep telling the collection agency That I will send them some money...

View more questions Search