Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2007, 05:52 AM
    Updates
    Hello:

I woke up to an icon that told me I needed to update something to do with Logiteck. K. That could be my mouse or my cam, or maybe even something else.

So, I did it. How would I even determine IF the update request came from Logiteck? Could it be a trojan horse? Could it be from the government? Could the government send an update that would make my cam transmit to THEM - and all the time - even when the red light is off?

Yes, I know you think I'm paranoid... I think I'm paranoid too. Ok, so can the gubment do it??

excon
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2007, 05:58 AM
    If the government were doing it, they would be doing it already, and you wouldn't need to install a patch or anything, you would be completely unaware. So don't worry about that.

I don't think that logitec apps should prompt you to update, I know my mouse doesn't. Instead of using this suspect icon, you can go directly to the logitech website here:

http://www.logitech.com/

And use the support center at the bottom right of that page to download updates for any hardware you have. That should shut it up. If it doesn't then it's probably malware or something and you can follow curly's steps to cleaning up your PC that are stickied somewhere.

Someone else might know of a logitech product that might have some kind of update notification.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2007, 06:00 AM
    Check in Programs > Startup to see if there is a Logitech program that monitors your file versions. You can safely delete that entry in Startup if you wish.

The government? They may be spying on you right now and there is not a thing you can do about it.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2007, 06:03 AM
    Hello Cappy:

Thanks.

It was for my cam, so that's why I became concerned. But, I think you're right. If they wanted to watch me, they'd be doing it already and I wouldn't know it. K, well if they're watching, I just gave them a nudie dance. That'll make 'em throw up.

I keep my computer pristine clean, so that's why I was concerned.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 30, 2007, 06:34 AM
    If it was from Logiteck then I would run from it. If it was from Logitech, then it was probably OK. ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows updates [ 1 Answers ]

I just did a windows repair on my computer. Now it won't let me do any updates. It says there are 80 updates, but it fails to let me get them.

Do I need Norton Updates? [ 2 Answers ]

Do I really need Norton set to update automatically? My computer has really slowed down. Wouldn't updating once a week manually when I don't need to be online be OK?

Updates [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem. I ran the windows update and got the security update KB826939 and a day or so later I received the same message that this update was needed again. I looked in my installed updates and noticed I have a total of 8 security updates with this same number KB826939.They were all...

Windows Updates for XP [ 2 Answers ]

How are you able to get a complete printout of your Windows Updates Installation History? All I can seem to get is only one page of history which doesn't show them all. Thanks, John

View more questions Search