Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cookie3 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2007, 07:41 AM
    Can they charge me a pet deposit AND raise my rent?
    Last November I asked my landlord if I could get a dog. I said I would pay the pet deposit and pay for any damages made by the pet if they should occur. I asked if I would have to pay more for rent. My landlord then replied he couldn't do that, that it was against the law. He called the owners of the house (he was not the owner, but worked for a real estate company) and they said as long as it was a smaller size dog it was fine. After the phone call, which I was present for, he said I could pay the pet deposit of $75. Then, he said "well, you'll pay an extra $25 a month also." and ever since, I've paid this. Is he ripping me off? :mad:
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2007, 07:45 AM
    Many places charge a "pet rental" monthly usually between 25-50 dolalrs a month on top of your rental, I would assume it is legal, since almost every place I ever rented required this..
    JohnSnownw Posts: 322, Reputation: 51

Aug 28, 2007, 07:48 AM
    Read your contract. If it doesn't state that you would be charged an extra fee per month, then you are indeed getting ripped off. I'm not saying there isn't some provision in your lease that allows the land lord to raise the cost of your rent and call it something else though. But I would first take a look at your contract, and go from there. Good Luck.
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2007, 07:49 AM
    The owners of the property can raise your rent at any time unless it's a rent controlled property. The amount they can raise it may be designated by the county or city you live in.

However the extra rent a month is pretty standard in fact I'd say you're getting off pretty easy. Most people I know typically have to pay an extra $200 in deposit, submit in writing that they will pay any and all damages caused by the pet when they move out as well as pay upwards of an extra $100 in rent a month.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2007, 07:50 AM
    I would think it to be some sort of breach in contract if a pet that wasn't originally allowed was brought in... not positive though.
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2007, 07:54 AM
    Did they flex the rules for you?

I know some places are against animals being in their property. Sometimes a landlord or owner will change the rules to accommodate your want especially if you've been a good tenant.

If there is nothing in your lease about pets I'd recommend asking them to write up an amendment to your lease in regards to the pet. That way everything is in writing and when you move out they won't slam you with huge costs or go oh no we said it was an extra $50 a month, etc.
    cookie3 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2007, 08:04 AM
    I've heard they can raise your rent at any time, but I also heard that you had 30 days after notification before paying that amount, and I had paid my rent that day, with the extra $25 tacked on and the $75 for the pet deposit.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 28, 2007, 08:53 AM
    First your landlords are the property owners not the real estate person who is managing the property for them. Second, you don't say what's in your lease or what the expiration date of the lease was. Third, you agreed to the increase by paying it. So the issue is really moot at this point. Finally, you are not getting ripped off since this is really a reasonable amount to pay in the circumstances.
    GravitonX Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2007, 09:04 AM
    cookie3, check you lease. You are obligate to pay the amounts specified in the lease throughout the duration of the lease. If you lease has expired and the property owners still want to have you as a tenant and want to raise your rent, they have to provide for it in writing for it to be inforcible. However, beware, there are many ways a landlord/property owner can make your life miserable, especially if your lease has expired and you are under a month-to-month arrangement.

I would say, if you like the apartment, can't find something else that's amenable, and the extra money isn't breaking the piggy bank, pay what they request. But, really, you should get it in writing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pet deposit [ 9 Answers ]

My family and I are entending to rent a house in California and the owner wants a $1000.00 pet deposit. Is that the right dollar amount for a pet deposit? It seems kind of high to us. What is the law regarding a pet deposit in California? Thanks lilbitof3

Legal to charge only 1 roommate for damages? Pet fees? [ 1 Answers ]

1.) If a pet does damage to an apartment that is beyond the amount paid for a non-refundable pet fee, is it legal by Florida law for a landlord to keep the money and NOT apply it to any of the damages? They circled this quote on the pet addendum when I asked them to deduct the fee from the...

Rent raise [ 5 Answers ]

I have a couple and their daughter rent two bedrooms in my house since Dec 2006 at the rent $500.00 for each room. When can I raise the rent and what is the maximum percent can I increase ? Thanks.

Raise rent? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in DC. Own a house and rent out my 2nd bedroom in my house. He signed a month to month lease in Aug 2006. When can I raise the rent and how much? Someone told me since it's my house and he's renting a room, I can raise it whenever and however much. Checking to see what others say. ...

View more questions Search