Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wlewis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2007, 03:55 PM
    Bank taking money from me to cover fraud
    I was a victim of fraud and I need help find some laws that proctect victims from the bank taking all your money to cover the fraud. The fraud was getting paid by fraud money orders for collection work for KP Antquies& Company. I have four kids and a farm to run and right now the bank is taking all my direct deposits. The FDIC talks about a banker's blanket bond covering me and about state and federal laws to protect victims from losing all there money. Can any one tell me where to look for a law to help me get some money to live off? I live in North Carolina. Thank you to anyone that can help me!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 26, 2007, 04:24 PM
    Contact an attorney, But frankly, this is a well known scam and you shouldn't have fallen for it. YOU were the one who deposited bad checks. When you deposit a check it may be secured by deposits you have with the bank. If the checks are bad, the bank can take those deposits.

You may get help here.

North Carolina Department of Justice
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 26, 2007, 07:23 PM
    Yes, they can even file criminal charges against you if you refuse to pay back the money, there are known cases of the people involved in these cases being charged with criminal charges.

What happened, is that you deposited a bunch of fake or bad checks. You then send a money order or western Union ( can't believe people fall for this after all the warnings, even on Opah) So after they come back in about a month, you don't have the money to pay the bank back.

Well the honest truth is you have to pay the bank back, they will take the other money out of your account and it will be in the negative, so why are you still having a direct deposit put in the bank, they will keep it till all the money is paid back,

You will have to start making and setting up a payment plan to the bank, to pay the full amount back.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 26, 2007, 08:02 PM
    As Chuck pointed out, you can be prosecuted for passing bad checks. The "collection work" you took on is illegal. Had you done due diligience you would have found that out. Most of the people who fall for this scam do so out of greed for what appears to be easy money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Victim of Bank Fraud victimized by Bank [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Arizona. I received a summons & complaint from Hilco re a Wells FargoBank (WFB)debt. 2 weeks ago. March 27 2007 I am a victim of felony crimes that began when WFB designed and printed 'convenience checks' accessing my accounts, unbeknownst to me, and negotiated access to my accounts with...

Can landlord take money from deposit to cover damage to other's property [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I have a question regarding the ability of a landlord to take money from his tenant's deposit. I live in California. A neighbor who rents, had a party in the building. One of his guests damaged my property which was located, with permission, in a common area of the building. The...

Banks taking money out of your account [ 3 Answers ]

Can a bank take money out of your bank account to pay your credit card with out your permission

Bank taking money from b. Account [ 3 Answers ]

We were recently brought to the attention of a 11 year old debt through our bank.They could give us no hard proof of this debt being ours. The simple fact is we did borrow money from them and is was not that much. Our files were stolen and we received a paper stating that our debt had been forgiven...

Taking money out of my 401k [ 2 Answers ]

I have a question hopefully you can help. I worked for United Parcel Service for about 4 years. I no longer work for them anymore. How do you think I can go about getting my money out of there 401k. I know about penalties and risks. But do you think I can be intitled to getting that money that I've...

View more questions Search