Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gmscoach Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2007, 06:18 PM
    Deceased parent's car
    My dad passed away shortly after making a down payment of $10,000 and financing$36,000 on a new car. I am in charge of settling his estate. I do not want the car and would like to just drop it off at the bank where he got the loan. Can I simply take the car the bank and leave it with them without out them asking me to pay the balance on the loan. I am not on the loan and have no interest in keeping the car.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 25, 2007, 06:36 PM
    Of course not, the estate will be liable for any difference just like a person, Now if there is no estate, ( house, money in the bank, and the such) then no issue, Remember none of his bills are your bills, all of his bills are the estate bills. So you will need to either sell the car and settle with the bank, pay it off, or let them sell it and pay them the differnce from the estate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Want to sing but don't know about parent's approval [ 7 Answers ]

I am a 13-year-old girl that is aspiring to become a singer. I don't necessarily want to start a career right now, but there is this company that I had in mind. I was thinking of auditioning for that company because the audition fee is free and if I get in, they will give me free professional...

Probate Law: How do I sell a car whose title still has my deceased husband's name? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. My father died in December rather unexpectedly. He and my mom lived in Louisiana (Napoleanic code, etc.), and my mom wants to sell their two old cars to get a newer model. However, my dad's name is on the titles of the two cars, not my mom's. How does she go about removing his name from...

My parent's stay and tax ITIN [ 5 Answers ]

hi, tax expert, My parents have B2 visa and came to USA on 11/20/2006. They will continue to stay with us until November( they got appoval for extension of stay until then). By the end of this month, they will meet the 183 days for 2007 year( they stayed 42 days for 2006 and 170 for this...

I'm seeing my parent's die before my eyes [ 20 Answers ]

For those you you who know of me, I'm Meg. I'm 21 and for the record I do not have much of a relationship with my parent's. My father was verbally abusive to me from my early teens to my 20's. He never thought I did anything right and I was always a screw up to him. He treated me very badly and...

Adding a name to parent's house [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to know what the procedures are for adding children's names to a deceased parent's home. My father recently passed away and was not able to put anyone's name on the house. There are still siblings living in the house. I know it will go through probate, but how do we go about...

View more questions Search