Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2007, 10:16 AM
    Decent English vs. Political Correctness
    Today I heard the term "waitperson" used for someone who waits tables. I'm getting used to some of the Political Correct gender neutral terms, but this one sounded odd to me.

If we nix waiter and waitress, shouldn't we nix actor and actress too? But then what? Actperson?

I'm curious; Does Strunk or anyone have any guidelines or "rules" on just how far this gender neutral language can or should go based on the structure of the original word?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2007, 10:41 AM
    Actually the term 'actor' is indeed used for both genders.
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2007, 10:45 AM
    Haha that's the point. Why actor for all but not waiter for all? Is "waitperson" just overboard since it does not have the term "man" in it?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2007, 11:12 AM
    I really get tired of all this. In dog questions I habitually use male pronouns in referring to vets although I know many, maybe even the majority now, are female.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2007, 11:35 AM
    The politically correct english just makes me more confused and I try not to be political ;)
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2007, 02:06 PM
    Yes, yes! I'd like to be a-political, but if I ignore gender neutral terms I get the evil eye from the left, and if I use the PC terms I get the evil eye from the right.

Sheesh, there's no winning this one I think :(
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 23, 2007, 02:13 PM
    More PC BS.
    I see nothing wrong with being called a Waiter as gender neutral.
    Admittedly I do find managerESS to be too PC the other way.

There are certain terms that are genuinely gender neutral; Actor, Waiter, Manager, and any other where ESS is added to the end to imply femininity.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for a decent clamp meter [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I'm looking to buy a decent clamp meter. In case I'm using the wrong term, here's a picture of what I'm referring to: http://www.globalspec.com/NpaPics/31/90923_031020041314_ExhibitPic.jpg The thing is, I'm kind of confused by all the choices out there. I'm looking to spend a maximum...

Ignorant Anthropologists? Or Political Correctness? [ 15 Answers ]

I have great respect for the science of anthropology but recently I came across two representations which made me question both motives and the qualifications of those anthropologists who were involved. First, there was a documentary concerning the Taino Indians of the Caribbean. I began watching...

Can anyone recommend a decent mobo [ 3 Answers ]

I'm looking for a new motherboard for my computer as the gateway one that I have just now simply isn't good enough and is fussy with ram. I'm looking for one that can hold 2gb-8gb ram and can be either intel or amd. I was thinking of the asus commando board but I'm unsue of it.;) ;)

Is political correctness what it used to be? [ 5 Answers ]

Have we outgrown political correctness, or is it still with us? I get confusing readings from the media on this one. I remember that once upon a time, political correctness was being promoted because many people believe that removing hate speech from public dialogues woud keep the hate from...

Political correctness [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am curious as to why in this day and age when every word uttered publicly must be politically correct, (e.g. mailperson as opposed to mailman, and firefighter vis-à-vis fireman) first year college students are still called freshmen, as opposed to freshstudents, or freshpeople. Mark

View more questions Search