Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2007, 07:05 AM
    CIA watch dog offers a new conventional wisdom
    One of the conventional wisdoms that emerged after 9-11 was the one that said the Clinton Adm ;especially Richard Clarke ,gave the incoming Bush adm. A detailed brief on al-Qaeda and Osama bin-Ladin's activities. Not that this information could've in itself prevented the attack;but President Bush has been raked over the coals based on the supposition that such a detailed dossier existed .

We now learn that no such report was prepared.

CIA watchdog faults agency on 9/11 - U.S. Security - MSNBC.com

According to a report from the Inspector General's office from a team led by Inspector General John Helgerson:

U.S. spy agencies, which were overseen by Tenet, lacked a comprehensive strategic plan to counter Osama bin Laden prior to 9/11. The inspector general concluded that Tenet “by virtue of his position, bears ultimate responsibility for the fact that no such strategic plan was ever created.”

The CIA’s analysis of al-Qaida before Sept. 2001 was lacking. No comprehensive report focusing on bin Laden was written after 1993, and no comprehensive report laying out the threats of 2001 was assembled. “A number of important issues were covered insufficiently or not at all,” the report found.

The CIA and the National Security Agency tussled over their responsibilities in dealing with al-Qaida well into 2001. Only Tenet’s personal involvement could have led to a timely resolution, the report concluded.

The CIA station charged with monitoring bin Laden — code-named Alec Station — was overworked, lacked operational experience, expertise and training. The report recommended forming accountability boards for the CIA Counterterror Center chiefs from 1998 to 2001, including Black.

Although 50 to 60 people read at least one CIA cable about two of the hijackers, the information wasn’t shared with the proper offices and agencies. “That so many individuals failed to act in this case reflects a systemic breakdown.... Basically, there was no coherent, functioning watch-listing program,” the report said. The report again called for further review of Black and his predecessor.
    The executive summary is here : https://www.cia.gov/library/reports/...G%20Report.pdf

So in other words ; even though OBL conducted a number of attacks on the US since 1993 and prior to 9-11 , the CIA under George Tenet never thought it necessary to update the information on OBL or AQ . Since there was no updated report then it has to be a fabrication by the Clintoons to suggest that they left President Bush with a turn key strategy to deal with the threat of AQ.

The 9-11 Commission was critical of Bush for his decision to stop engaging in tit for tat responses [like launching a couple of cruise missiles in response to an attack] and instead to develop a new operational strategy to deal with OBL .

"Hadley said that in the end, the administration’s real response to the Cole would be a new, more aggressive strategy against al Qaeda."
    What it failed to mention was that the reason that Bush and Condi Rice needed extra time to evaluate options was because none were presented to them when they entered the Presidency.

Now of course a lot of what the Clintons knew was shoved down Sandy Berger's pants .So we unfortunately will never get the full story.
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2007, 09:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    One of the conventional wisdoms that emerged after 9-11 was the one that said the Clinton Adm ;especially Richard Clarke ,gave the incoming Bush adm. a detailed brief on al-Qaeda and Osama bin-Ladin's activities. Not that this information could've in itself prevented the attack;but President Bush has been raked over the coals based on the supposition that such a detailed dossier existed .

We now learn that no such report was prepared.

CIA watchdog faults agency on 9/11 - U.S. Security - MSNBC.com

According to a report from the Inspector General's office from a team led by Inspector General John Helgerson:

The executive summary is here : https://www.cia.gov/library/reports/...G%20Report.pdf

So in other words ; even though OBL conducted a number of attacks on the US since 1993 and prior to 9-11 , the CIA under George Tenet never thought it necessary to update the information on OBL or AQ . Since there was no updated report then it has to be a fabrication by the Clintoons to suggest that they left President Bush with a turn key strategy to deal with the threat of AQ.

The 9-11 Commission was critical of Bush for his decision to stop engaging in tit for tat responses [like launching a couple of cruise missiles in response to an attack] and instead to develop a new operational strategy to deal with OBL .

What it failed to mention was that the reason that Bush and Condi Rice needed extra time to evaluate options was because none were presented to them when they entered the Presidency.

Now of course alot of what the Clintons knew was shoved down Sandy Berger's pants .So we unfortunately will never get the full story.
    A CIA inquiry has accused the agency's ex-chief George Tenet and his aides of failing to prepare for al-Qaeda threats before the 9/11 attacks on the US.
    "The agency and its officers did not discharge their responsibilities in a satisfactory manner," the CIA inspector general wrote in a scathing report.

BBC NEWS | Americas | CIA criticises ex-chief over 9/11
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Aug 22, 2007, 10:14 AM
    "One of the conventional wisdoms"

Whomever that's supposed to be. Perhaps there is some truth to this since Bin Laden himself was no secret to our govt knowledge. But this also sounds like the typical blame each other nonsense that both political parties have generated for decades.

Bobby
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2007, 10:20 AM
    Bobby ; President Bush tried to keep this report classified . It was the Democrats who were claiming coverup and insisting it be released.
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Aug 22, 2007, 10:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    Bobby ; President Bush tried to keep this report classified . It was the Democrats who were claiming coverup and insisting it be released.
    I don't doubt it. My point was that the Democrats want to use this for political fodder.

Bobby
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2007, 01:30 PM
    President Bush has been standing out there in full view executing his foreign policy since 2001, and we have seen him make one blunder after the other resulting in the failed due to mismanagement of the War of Adveturism on Iraq and a deteriorating situating in Afghanistan! Some policy against Jihadists! Fiasco is the word.

Bush even gave Tenet a Medal of Honor in an attempt to cover up BUSH'S AND THE CIA'S BLUNDERS concerning 911!! LOL! I remember Condi Rice's twisted grin when she was questioned by the 911 Commission about a certain memo that crossed her desk about bin Laden attacking the US soon.
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2007, 02:16 AM
    Choux

Government is a continuous operation .If a plan wasn't in place ,and a dossier of OBL not updated since 1993 then there was nothing the Bush Adm. Could've done to prevent 9-11. Bush was in the process of revising the strategy to counter AQ but if you will recall ;much of the time he had to put in a transition team that he should've had before swearing in was wasted because Gore tried to steal the election. Then when he entered they had to deal with the vandalism of the outgoing Clintonoids.

If Bush made any mistake prior to 9-11 it was keeping Tenet in the CIA and Richard Clarke in the White House national security staff... two Clintonian holdovers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Checking out internet offers [ 3 Answers ]

What website can I visit to check out if the business offers sent unsolicited through email are legit? I know that if they ask you for a "membership fee," you'd better be wary, but their offers can be so tempting! Offers I'm talking about are those that say that I'd get paid for my opinions, etc....

Grandmother never offers to watch grandson. [ 5 Answers ]

This is my 2nd question on this board. I got great advise on the first post which actually helped me with my marriage. Now my 2nd question. This is something that has come up a million times in my marriage. It has to do with getting a break from the baby (now 2 1/2 years old) to go out with my...

Does anybody else watch Dog the Bounty Hunter. [ 2 Answers ]

Give me your thoghts about mexico trying to extradit him to mexico for catching Andrew Lester.

View more questions Search