Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    winechick Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2007, 04:56 AM
    Dog has peeing problems
    My dog is completely house trained, but for some reason likes to pee on absorbent things. I bought her a new bed and lately she has been peeing on it only an hour or 2 after being walked in the morning. She also has a thing for certain rugs. She has another bed too, but that one she doesn't pee on, Why does she only pee in certain places. I also took her to a friends last week and she went right to my friends shaggy rug and squatted. What can I do to prevent this behavior?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2007, 09:20 AM
    This sounds like a case of claiming her territory. It will tough to fix. If she is 6 months or older, spay her if not already. You then need to provide strong leadership. The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position, Letting your dog know you are the boss

You need to keep a close eye on her. Use closed doors or gates to keep her in the same room as you. If you catch her in the act, give her a sharp ''Ah, ah, ah!'' to interrupt her and take her out.

When you can't watch her, crate her. Other dogs may
    Not be as bad as the young Labs I am plagued with. Still your house and dog
    Will be much safer with the dog in a crate when you are away. The dog may be
    Happier in its den than loose in the house. It relaxes, it feels safe in its
    Den. It rests, the body slows down reducing the need for water and relieving
    Its self. Dogs that have been crated all along do very well. Many of them
    Will rest in their crates even when the door is open. I think the plastic
    Ones give the dog more of a safe, enclosed den feeling. They are harder for
    Dogs to open too. Metal ones can be put in a corner or covered with
    Something the dog can't pull in and chew. Select a crate just big enough for the full grown dog to stretch out in.

Leave it some toys. Perhaps a Kong filled with peanut butter. Don't leave
    Anything in the crate the dog might chew up. It will do fine without even any
    Bedding. You will come home to a safe dog and a house you can enjoy.

Accidents and damaged possessions are the fault of whoever was watching the puppy. When you are watching it, immediately correct it as soon as it goes for anything except its own toys. In a quiet, but firm voice ''Bad dog, its name drop!''. Gently remove what ever and replace it with one of her toys, or if older, hold eye contact until the puppy drops it.

A dog that has not been crated since it was little, make take some work.
    Start just putting its toys and treats in the crate. Praise it for going
    in. If you have been able to trust it with any bedding, put that in the crate.
    Feed it in the crate. This is also an easy way to maintain order at feeding
    Time for more than one dog.

Use the crate only when you must I have a short length of chain fastened to
    My computer desk. The dog is with me, but about as controlled as in the crate, while still allowing me to get some work done, or at least answer AskMe questions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog peeing [ 5 Answers ]

Our chiwauwa female almost 5 months old pees everywhere in the house but in the litter box along with the other pets (cats & Dogs). We thought she had caught on after the "BAD DOG" scoldings and then we see her doing her thing right in front of us every so often. This is our first chiwauwa and...

Dog peeing in crate [ 11 Answers ]

I have a 14 month old boxer. He's house broken, but sleeps in a crate at night where he pees almost every night. We know that he can hold it all night because sometimes he'll sleep on a blanket in our bedroom and have no accidents. But if we put him in the crate its almost guaranteed he'll pee...

Dog peeing at home [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Westie who is 3 years and 4 months old. She's been house trained since she was a puppy to pee outside. She been walked 2 times a day for an hour each. Since the last few months, she's started peeing a lot in the house and also been behaving very naughty. She's not as obidient as...

Why is my dog peeing [ 3 Answers ]

If a male dog is fixed can he sense that there are other animals in heat and mark his territory?

Old dog peeing and pooping? Why Oh Why? [ 1 Answers ]

My dog is a 10 year old German Shepard mix. In the past 3 months, she has started a new behavior. When we go to sleep at night, she sneaks downstairs and pees and poops in the same spot. At first it was just once in a while. Now it is every night. I thought it might be medical. Then we went...

View more questions Search