Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flower_child Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2007, 03:21 PM
    Change dyed dark brown to medium?
    Hi I found this site while doing a Google search for changing dark hair lighter. I found a lot of helpful info but am not sure what to do in my particular case.
    I have very dark brown dyed hair with blond on top and blond underneath. I have been dying my hair dark brown and blond for 3 years. I really want to change my dark brown hair to a warm medium brown. Today after reading some of the suggestions on here I took a sample of my hair and mixed shampoo with 20% peroxide and it did absolutely nothing. I took another sample and mixed clairol blondest blond ( which I use for my blond part ) with 30% peroxide and it did nothing. I am now thinking of trying color oops but I am wondering if that too won't work as my hair seems to be very porous as the majority of it is grey and I have used a straightening iron which probably hasn't helped. I only want to re do the dark brown as I am happy with the blond so I would try and keep the color oops off it by using vaseline.
    Also if I need to re dye my hair after using color oops what color should I use to get warm medium brown? As from what I have read a lot of you have had to use much lighter colors as it can turn back dark brown and I would hate to be back where I started.
    I would really appreciate any advice.
    Thanks
    :)
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Aug 23, 2007, 05:18 PM
    You can't dye your hair lighter without using a lightening product of some kind. If you want to go 1-2 shades lighter, you can select your desired hair color and mix with a 20-volume peroxide developer in equal parts. Since your hair is dark, you might end up with brassy tones in your hair. I suggest using an ash-base color such as medium ash brown. This will help reduce the brassy tones.
    flower_child Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2007, 11:01 PM
    Pretty Lady,
    Thank you so much for your reply but I did mix Clairol's blondest blond with 30% peroxide on a strand test and it didn't shift the color one bit. Do you still think that mixing medium ash brown with 20% would? My hair is dyed a very dark brown and I am really fed up with it as it is too harsh.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Black hair, dyed brown, how can I dye it ash brown? [ 19 Answers ]

Hi I have naturally very dark brown hair, its pretty much black. I have been dying it black for the past two years. Today I bleached it and then dyed it "light ash brown". Obviously it didn't come out "ash" at all it more like a golden brown. My hair is actually still very healthy after...

Medium Reddish Brown to Light Brown [ 3 Answers ]

I had been coloring my hair a medium copper brown for about a year. The last time I colored 3 months ago I used medium gold brown. My hair is less red, but still has red undertones. I would like to go to a light golden brown. Is there anyway I can do this without ending up looking like Bozo? Am...

From Dark Blonde to Dark Brown back to Light Brown [ 1 Answers ]

I recently lightened my already color-treated brown hair to a dark blonde color. I decided it looked unnatural and decided to dye it back brown. I picked up a light brown dye from the local beauty supply store and it came out way darker than I wanted or expected with a hint of green, and now I...

Dyeing hair to medium brown w/out having to go DARK [ 2 Answers ]

My hair is naturally medium brown and when out in the sun it turns blond. I had bleached highlights in my hair and recently decided to go back to my natural color. My roots are very dark brown so my stylist (5 months ago) used shades eq by redken and dyed my hair DARK brown and it has mahogony...

View more questions Search