Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    loydx Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2005, 04:49 AM
    Fonts for Webpages
    Hi.

I am trying to compare different fonts on a web page. The web page is currently being built), however I am unable to see the style of font it is. Eg ariel or Verdana. (I'm not artistic at all and I have no idea)

Is there a way to tell what the type of font is. I tired coping it into word and it just went to the default. I tried doing the same in outlook and it seemed to work, but I'm not sure. I also tried the source code but it wasn't there.

If anyone would know a way to do this. It would be a great help.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks for you time and help
    Loydx
    wzartv Posts: 402, Reputation: 21

Aug 24, 2005, 05:09 AM
    Are you sure there is no way to look at the html? If you take the webpage you are trying to get the font from, and open it in Internet Explorer, then click "View," then click "Source" it will show you the source code and hopefully you can dig it out from there. If you have any problems, please feel free to ask!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 24, 2005, 05:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by loydx
    Hi.

I am trying to compare different fonts on a web page. The web page is currently being built), however I am unable to see the style of font it is. Eg ariel or Verdana. (I'm not artistic at all and I have no idea)

Is there a way to tell what the type of font is. I tired coping it into word and it just went to the default. I tried doing the same in outlook and it seemed to work, but I'm not sure. I also tried the source code but it wasn't there.

If anyone would know a way to do this. It would be a great help.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks for you time and help
    Loydx
    As Wzar suggested, right click on a blank area of the page and choose View Source. This will open up the page in Notepad and display the source text file with the HTML tags. Look for Font tags.

One point about fonts on pages. The page can only display a font if you have it on your system. So if you use an exotic font on your page and the user doesn't have it, then it may default to something else on their system. That's why its best to use standard fonts. If you want to get fancy, convert the text to a graphic.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2005, 08:53 AM
    If looking at the HTML doesn't help, then you may need to look at the style sheet.

At the top of the HTML source may be a link starting something similar to:

Code:
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="style/style.css"...
    What you'll need to do then is change the address in your browser to point to the style sheet. For example if you are viewing "http://www.somewhere.com/mypages/index.html" and you want to access the stylesheet shown in the example above, you will need to enter "http://www.somewhere.com/mypages/style/style.css" into the address bar.

When you are in the style sheet, do a search for font-family or font-face. That'll give you the fonts used.

This might not work though - the stylesheet classes might be in a folder the public can't access. Give it a shot though,
    loydx Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2005, 11:01 AM
    Thanks a lot for your help

I will take a look

Lloyd

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ms Word can't see all my fonts in System Font Folder [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: somehow I can't see many fonts (includes open and true type) that has been installed into system font folder in Microsoft word. Example, I've altogether 7 types of Tw cent and 10 types of Futura, but only 3/7 and 8/10 available in Word. Anyone knows what is the reason? Thanks

Strange thing happening when I view forms on webpages. [ 1 Answers ]

Starting just today, some form fields on websites that used to be white are now yellow. I've seen 3-4 of them today I'm using WindowsXP Home Edition. There's no harm, but I'm real curious. Any of you run into this before? Thanks!

Embedding fonts [ 1 Answers ]

Just curious. Does anyone know how to embed a truetype font into a webpage or webpages. Sometimes I'd like to use decorative fonts and have them show up regardless of whether the viewer has it or not. Patrick

View more questions Search