Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Valya_jj Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2007, 04:03 PM
    High nitrite levels in my freshwater tank
    Hi I am new to my hobby I just got a 25gal aquarium and filled it out with freshwater tropical fish and as a nub started with fish that is more tolerable to harsh conditions like Platys, Hi-fin tetras, neon tetras, glow fish I had one nub but unfortunately he died about two days ago. I also have 1 eel that looks like he has ick and I am concerned about his life and my whole tank to be honest. I have this tank for about two months already and the last testings on the water condition (from yesterday) showed that I have really high level of nitrites - 10.0ppm, nitrates - 40ppm, water hardness - 75GH ppm, alkalinity - 80KH ppm and PH - 6.8 if this is going to help some. I just did a 35% water change and conditioned it and added some aquarium salt for freshwater. So please tell me what I am doing wrong?
    Thank You!
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2007, 10:28 AM
    It doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong.
    An aquarium takes time to cycle (develop the nitrogen cycle).
    If your fish appear to be ill, treating them with medication may be necessary.
    Continue doing partial water changes, I'd recommend 15% daily until your aquarium is fully cycled.
    You will be able to tell when the cycle is complete when you have a 0ppm nitrite reading and a 0ppm ammonia reading.
    Please read this sticky note at this link for a better explanation of the aquarium cycle/nitrogen cycle.
    Once your aquarium is cycled much care must be taken not to clean away the good bacteria. Your filter should have come with some sort of bio media for the good bacteria to live in.
    This media should not be cleaned.
    If you have any questions, I'm hear to help.
    If your not sure what the bio media inside your filter is, you can give me the make and model and I'll find it out for you.
    Valya_jj Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2007, 01:34 PM
    Thank you so much for your quick response Kae and about the bio filter I know exactly where it is and I didn't touch it at all and really don't intend to (:
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2007, 06:35 PM
    Great! Your tank should be fully cycled soon and you'll be able to enjoy your new hobby.
    If I can help you with anything in the future, just let me know.
    RedRaider Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2011, 09:39 AM
    AKaeTrue... I know it has been a long time since you posted on here but if you could give me some help I am having a similar problem. I have had the tank for 3 months now... I have a 30gal freshwater tank with danis, Nitrate filter, water changes daily with conditioning, temp stays between 80-82, feeding very small amounts once per day, yet I can not get the nitrites below 5. The quarium speciality shop suggested that a live plant would help control nitrite levels and help with the cycling but I am curious if there is any decorations that could make it worse, we have the neon decorations and black/neon rock mix with a statue and then there is a large clam shell(real) we found on the beach that is in the tank as well. Would any of these affect the nitrite levels, would a live plant help, and do you have any other suggestions of ways to get the nitrite/nitrate levels down?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

High PH in fish tank [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 20 gal freshwater aquarium. I can't seem to keep my fish alive, other than 2 white clouds. My PH level is very high. I have used PH- drops for a month now and it is still high. I asked my aquarium shop and they told me to take the sea shells out of it, that they will raise the PH. They...

Nitrite level to high [ 6 Answers ]

I bought a 75 gal fish tank on the 4 July 07 I bought some fish and did not know about the cycle thing, I do now .All of my fish died except one the rainbow shark. Which I still have.A few weeks ago my ammonia level was way up so I used a ammonia lock and it made my water so cloudy that I could not...

View more questions Search