Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kylesnonni Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2007, 12:19 PM
    4 year old screamer
    My Grandson is 4 years old. He is constantly yelling and screaming. You can't ask him a simple question with out an answer of yelling and screaming and sometimes going into a tantrum. He has been around children his age when he played tee-ball from April-June 2007. He didn't do that around them. My parents babysit him daily .They also pick up my niece and nephew from school. He is with them a few hours after school. He is always trying to boss them and gets very angry if they argue back. Have any idea what the problem may be? He doesn't want to fight . Just yell and scream.
    saraispiel19 Posts: 670, Reputation: 115
    -

Aug 17, 2007, 12:23 PM
    I αppαrently used to be α screαmer too my mom used to slαp my mouth αnd well thαt worked..

K well thαt wαs kindα bαd αdvice but it worked for me.. she would αlso ignore me or leαve the room
    Try using thαt technique he'll cαtch up αnd eventuαlly see no one will pαy αttention to him if he's screαming..

Good luck to yα<3
    CorrieNB Posts: 78, Reputation: 8

Aug 17, 2007, 12:47 PM
    I have a five year old son and he used to throw tantrums I tried ignoring him punishing him just about everything one day he was on the floor screamign and I threw myself down and hollered and kicked and screamed. He got the most surprised look on his face and never did it again also if you have a video camera or even a tape recorder record him and let him listen or watch himself
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 17, 2007, 12:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kylesnonni
    My Grandson is 4 years old....My parents babysit him daily.
    I didn't quite understand the bit quoted above. He is your grandson and YOUR parents babysit him??

He sounds more like a two y/o than a 4 y/o. I taught 4 y/os for three years and they tend to be very cooperative and agreeable both at home and at school.

First of all, all the adults who take care of him have to be on the same page. Consistency gets top billing here. If there isn't consistency in dealing with him, any effort won't work. Secondly, the adults will have to decide on a plan. That should come after they have done some library research into how to parent a screaming child. That information can be found in the parenting books at 649.1. After researching, have a meeting and make the plan, then stick to it. Time-outs might be the plan. All adults will have to follow the same time-out procedure when he screams. After about a week, things should have settled down and there should be minimal screaming that will soon disappear entirely.
    cissy0801 Posts: 129, Reputation: 6

Oct 31, 2007, 03:32 AM
    Don't try coporal punishment. That just gets the kid more hypo
    You look at them with angry eyes and bend down to their height. You firmly raise a finger and you firmly say NO, NO SCREAM, NO!
    And then you let them play. After around 5 minutes of being quiet, you repeat again and then ask them to repeat you and then give them a treat
    If that doesn't works
    You tie them to a chair with a hankie around their mouth and you say: MUMMY TOLD YOU NOT TO SCREAM NOW DON'T SCREAM... (say it firmly but don't get angry) and then you say: MUMMY WANT YOU NOT TO SCREAM... DO YOU THINK YOU CAN DO THAT
    If they say yes let them go and if they scream put them on the naughty chair for 10 minutes
    If they say no, you leave them there and check up every 2 minutes.
    cissy0801 Posts: 129, Reputation: 6

Oct 31, 2007, 03:33 AM
    I reckon they just want attention
    linds03 Posts: 50, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2007, 02:44 PM
    ignore him... obviously he is getting a reaction out of someone. Stop the attention=stop the screaming.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2007, 08:00 AM
    I would let him know that you will not speak to him when he is yelling. Tell him if he feels like yelling - designate a certain part of your home - go to the spot to do it. When he can calm himself down and talk to you in a quiet voice - then he can come out.

It also sounds like he is trying to get contol over the situations he is in. By yelling at the other children when he doesn't get his way - he is trying to show who is boss. That kind of behavior is normal (I think) the yelling is his way of getting this done.

What does his parents have to say about this?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rent increase percentage cap for New jersey year to year [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am signing a lease for another year with my landlord but he wants to increase the rent 15% for the new year. Is there a cap on the increase for raising rent. This is for a house, not an apartment. Thanks!

20 year old male with 17 year old female in Ohio [ 2 Answers ]

I have a friend who is 20 and the had sex with a 17 year old girl and her mom called the cops and supposedly filed a missing persons report but she wasn't gone for 24 hours . I called her mom and she said that the girl had admitted to them having sex and took her to the hospital and the found semen...

Calendar Year or Fiscal Year for H1b Visa Holders? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I would be going to the US on an H1B, accompanied with my wife and two kids (all on H4). Tax experts could you please answer the following doubts of mine: 1. For individuals on H1B, the only selection of tax year is a calendar tax year, right? 2. If I reach US somewhere on Oct 1 2007, I...

6-year Indian Student, 1040EZ but claiming social security taxes from 5th year. [ 3 Answers ]

I've been in the States since 2001 (F-1 undergrad, then 1 year of F-1 OPT, and now with a new F-1 for grad school), 6 years so far and all at the same university in NYC. This will be my first year filing the 1040EZ, and I have a few Q's... Four questions: * Is the 1040EZ form the...

Full-year for Federal, Part-year for State ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an alien and comply with the qualification for full-year tax resident for Federal, but not with my state's where I should be considered as a part-year tax resident. Is it a problem if my status are different for federal and state, or does my federal status "overwrite" my state status...

View more questions Search