Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mmoran333 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2004, 07:56 AM
    Defragging
    I'm having trouble with my Defragmenter.
    I followed your instructions and also rebooted,
    But I still get this message:

"Analysis is complete for: (C:)
    You should defragment this volume"

When I click on Analyze.

How can I solve this problem?
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 29, 2004, 11:23 AM
    Re: Defragging
    Here's my guess. And I mean guess!

You could have some programs running in the background that uses some files that are fragmented. When the defragmenter goes to move this files, it can't because they are being used. Hence why every time you finish, you get told you still need to fragment the drive.

Try shutting down as many programs as possible before you use it. Best way - CTRL+ATL+DEL then just kill them like that. Also if you're using an older Windows OS (ME and earlier I think), try Start > Run > enter "msconfig" and press enter. On that, remove any unwanted programs from the startup section and restart.

But like I said - that's a guess!
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Nov 8, 2004, 09:58 PM
    Try running Defrag from "Safe Mode".
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2004, 05:53 AM
    Degrag
    Hi,
    Both ScanDisk and Defrag should be run in SafeMode.
    That lets both programs deal with files, etc, that are not being used by Windows... it's much faster and much more efficient.
    What is your windows version; like XP, etc?
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    urmod4u Posts: 248, Reputation: 4

Nov 13, 2004, 04:14 AM
    The defragger runs both in normal and in safe mode, but usually much more quick in safe mode (I've seen it run for 10 hours in normal mode).
    When you click "analyze", the defragger will analyze your HD and tell you at the end what it recommends. In your case, it tells you to defragment the drive.
    So, you should then click on the "defragment" button. In WIN2K and WINXP it is to the right of the "analyze" button.
    BTW: you do not need to click the "analyze" button first. Click on the "defragment" button rightaway.
    Wendy225 Posts: 240, Reputation: 4

Jan 17, 2005, 09:55 AM
    Defragging
    Try getting a couple of programs called either Perfect Disk or Diskeeper lite, which are excellent for defragging, they are better than the one that comes with your system, although the defragger on your system is an even lighter version than diskeeper lite, both made by the same company, but the windows defragger, is not quite as thorough as the 2 mentioned above.

Diskeeper lite is free on the net, just search for it.

The other you can download a 30 day demo.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Defragging problem [ 7 Answers ]

Anyone use Diskeeper lite and if so have you noticed that after awhile it won't completely defrag your system. Mine seems to leave anywhere from 4 to 150 fragmented files. Any thoughts on how to correct this?

View more questions Search