Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justtls Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2007, 08:18 PM
    Maytag side by side not cooling properly
    I have a 2003 - 2005 maytag side by side fridge freezer that has been working quite well until about three days ago. I have done some searches and found a coupe of things to do or check. I have checked and cleaned all the lint of the lower back of the unit including the cooling coils and the fan housing. I also cleared the ice from the opening that passes air from the freezer to the fridge.

Inititaly I thought the problem was just the fridge side as the milk stopped tasting as cold etc. I then did the lint cleaning and was clearing the air passage with the freezer door open and now it seems that both sides are not colling properly.

I did notice some frost on the lower portion of the freezer before I started working on it and I had read a thread about that but the person never said what to do about it.

Alsp, just a note, the compressor motor seems very hot and I don't hear it or feel it running, the fan motor is running and the fan in the freezer appear to be running. How can I check to see if the compressor is bad? Can I replace the compressor motor myself?
    The moter is a "Embraco" EGZ-100HLP, 115-127V @ 60Hz, the SN# it either 513700112 or K03DGQ6L.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Regards,
    Terry
    misterious1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2009, 07:08 PM
    Terry,

I have the same problem with my frig, I am almost for sure it is the compressor is bad. As you plug the frig, u can hear the relay triggering to turn the compressor on but it wouldn't. Normally the compressor should be changed by a refrigerant tech due to the recharge of freon. But this particular frig we have does not have the charging valve. Am going to confirm w my friend and keep you update. If you find a new compressor for a good price please let me know too. Thanks
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2009, 05:35 PM

JUSTTLS -If you are not a licensed tech. for this <I wouldn't advise it . THE service valve will have to be put on ,when this is done , you will have a recovery unit to take the freeon out and not release any into the air , it is against the law and you could be fined really heavy by the EPA, also you will not be able to buy the freeon ,without a valid license, you will have to have gages for putting in the freeon also and know by the gages when you have enough in, I hate to break it to you this way < BUT YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE A TECH ( LICESEND ) TO DO IT FOE YOU :: good luck and GOD BLESS::

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fairly new Maytag side-by-side MSD2657HSE not cooling [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, This is a 18month old side-by-side Maytag MSG2657HSE refrigerator. The freezer half works perfectly, but the refrigerator half has stopped cooling. Also just 2 days before this happened the following was noticied by my wife - During the day time she noticed that water was seeping out from the...

Kenmore Elite not cooling refrigerator side or side by side [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Elite Model 53609202 side-by-side. The freezer is working fine, the air flow into the freezer is working, the fan is on. There is another fan in the bottom rear that is also on. There is nothing in the refrigerator to block the vents. There is a little frost on the rear panel...

Maytag side by side Refrigerator [ 2 Answers ]

Just got a Maytag model # MSD2957AEW, Will not produce ice or water. Checked water line from source and plenty of water is going through the tubing. However nothing is going into the refrigerator. Bought it used and when disconnected from home everything worked. Could we have disconnected a wire...

Maytag wide by side not cooling [ 3 Answers ]

Our maytag wide by side is not cooling - freezer side is working fine. Seems to be a common problem with these based on the posts. Any ideas? Have called repair center - not open until Monday.

View more questions Search