Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Katherine1569's Avatar
    Katherine1569 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #1

    Aug 21, 2005, 12:25 AM
    Homeschooling
    Hello
    I would like to know more about the disadvantages of homeschooling. I am doing a letter to the editor for a school assessment task and I need to find as many disadvantages as possible. If you can help please respond.
    jocase's Avatar
    jocase Posts: 18, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #2

    Sep 30, 2005, 04:38 PM
    It depends...
    If a parent tries to home-school a child without any connection with a school, there are several disadvantages:

    Curriculum is not in line with what children are expected to know
    Textbooks are not easily available
    Standardized testing is not available
    The child tend to spend more time on subjects that he/she likes and does not tackle the weak spots
    Unless the parent is connected with social and athletic activities in the community, the child does not develop these aspects.

    If, however the parent has the child enrolled in an "independent study" program, the have access to textbooks, testing, and curriculum consistent with a grade level expected in their state.

    The major flaw I see is that the parent gets to a point, usually Jr. high age where math and science are beyond their ability to teach. As the child gets older, it is more difficult to put them in a school setting.

    I would appreciate some feedback as I am new to this board. Thanks!

    John
    dimples's Avatar
    dimples Posts: 256, Reputation: 9
    Full Member
     
    #3

    Oct 1, 2005, 02:17 PM
    I am not for homeschooling. For one, interaction with other kids is vital for the formation & growth of a character in a child. Let her experience what we have experienced. Best friends, crushes, long lines in the school canteen. A child who has a restricted environment tend not to adjust well in the big, bad world. Secondly, there is always procastination. When you have no deadlines or no competition, there is less determination to make good.
    shenda's Avatar
    shenda Posts: 160, Reputation: 21
    Junior Member
     
    #4

    Oct 2, 2005, 11:58 AM
    Homeschool
    The most primal disadvantage of homeschooling equates unto social relations and emotional development...

    It is possible for a child to attain great academic and scholastics achievements in such a setting, this can not be argued because the attention and focus is very concentrated; therefore, a lot more of the material can be covered, especially noting the child's level of intellectual attainment and advancement... however, with this in perspective, the child is not subjected to experience uncommon authority and expectations. The child is not able to relate to that which is different... exposure to every thing under the sun is quite limited... we see this in public school whereby the population is homogenous... the introduction of another race, culture creates fear and unrealistic expectations... based on fiction or vain imaginations... the ability to treat each incident or person based on the merit presented versus a collective standard...

    Homeschooling does not adequately prepare a child to variant degrees of expectation... it does not allow the child to develop beyond its exposure, the primary caregiver becomes the child every thing which cripples and weakens them emotionally, especially if something unexpected were to happen. The child's social skills can vary from one extreme to the other... from feeling inadequate due to lack of experience unto feeling grandiose due to limited competition. This is true with children not homeschool, but the propensity is greater. Team like attitude is not stressed, the ability to compromise for the greater good, and not unto self-destruction. The development, the actualization of the sense of self as seen through the eyes of others completely hindered because teachers present an array of persona and expectation levels which will foster creative character... sometimes pulling from an internal source of strength to overcome belittlement... sometimes the very expectation of failure creates a strong will and drive to a focused level of surpassing... homeschooling disadvantages are solely and strictly related to a child ability to absorb and process the world, that from an inner perspective, from family or heritage perspectives unto that from society's standard of living... the ability to uphold the best from all worlds to make it ones own. The emotional and social development can be stagnated; however, if the primary caregiver balances her/his role with the child, expose the child to other unique environments, it may not be a socially damaging; however, in most cases, the choice for homeschooling is to prevent such exposure.
    eawoodall's Avatar
    eawoodall Posts: 230, Reputation: 5
    Full Member
     
    #5

    Oct 2, 2005, 04:02 PM
    Home schoolers would never pretend that they are sending in a 'letter to the editor' that is not about something they themselves actively care about. If a homeschooler sent a letter to the editor it would be to complain about an issue that matters to them personally, and not a "made up" letter. Secondly does your class also have people making up letters praising advantages of home schooling, or is this merely a campaign by your school or teacher to send such a flood of letters to a actual editor that one of them makes it into the paper, in which case they are not doing education at all, but instead merely proselytize into their religion of worshiping 'not home schooling' public education.
    Sad that teachers make religious converts but no other religions are allowed.

    More disadvantages for home schoolers:
    Home schoolers get higher scores on academic tests.
    Home schoolers must have learned how to think for themselves.
    Home schoolers get higher scores on college admission tests.
    Home schoolers have lower teacher to student ratios.
    Home schoolers spend more quality time with parents.
    Home schoolers spend less travel time to and from school.
    Home schoolers can spend more time on the education skills.
    Home schoolers have closer contact with education administration.
    Home schoolers cost less to transport to and from school each day.

    You might ask why are those things disadvantages? Because the educational community at public schools 'thinks' they are disadvantages.

    You see it is the insanity of the educational community that causes such stupidity as any resistance to home schooling in the first place, because everyone should be home schooled, only then can we actually get the equal playing field that all children should have. Only then can it be determined who is better for what job, and who should do greater things. The problem is the people who run education have the lowest grade point averages of all students at college! Anyone in any other field or major is smarter than them!
    whalesntigers's Avatar
    whalesntigers Posts: 1, Reputation: 2
    New Member
     
    #6

    Oct 3, 2005, 04:27 PM
    Home Schooling
    WOW! I am surprised to read all the "negatives" of home schooling. Are people really that closed minded, and do people really believe this? I would think one would research something before posting on the subject. I am a newbie, and this is my first post. My daughter is 14 years old, and I have homeschooled her for most of her life. I home school my daughter because I have not been able to find a school that can meet her needs. My daughter has autism, however she is very high functioning, and she tests out as gifted.

    I actually put my daughter in an integrated public school program for 2 months when she was in kindegarten, however the teacher expected her to sit still and learn a letter (of the alphabet) each week, even though she was already reading middle school books. My daughter's teacher punished my daughter when she displayed appropriate coping skills that her psychologist taught her. Her teacher did a great job of crushing her self esteem. I homeschooled my daughter the rest of the year, and we tried again the following year. This time my daughter tried a private school. There were only 10 typical kids in the class of 2nd and 3rd graders. My daughter skipped 1st grade and was put in this class. She made 100% on all her 3rd grade work, but again was only in that school for a few months. The kids teased her and when she said "sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me", the kids picked up rocks and sticks and threw them at my daughter. During Christmas break, the school got a new slide. My daughter loved the new slide. When the kids went down the slide, their shoes left black marks on the slide... My daughter loved to spend 2 hours each day picking these marks off. I could not allow my daughter to be engaged in this behavior for 2 hours each day, (not to mention tormented by the kids), so I once again took her out of school. I have homeschooled my daughter ever since.

    Regarding social skills... what kinds of social skills would she have gotten in school? Her self esteem was crushed from school. Through homeschool, I am able to teach my daughter not only the academics, but also social skills. When we are with other children and she is inappropriate, I am there to see what happens, and talk about how she could have handled the situation differently. My daughter will always have social deficits, but I know in my heart she never could have come as far as she has if she were dumped in school all day to be made fun of. And by the way, my daughter has been a girl scout for 8 years, and also in 4-H for 6 years. Oh, and did I mention that this is my daughter's 2nd year as President of her 4-H club? The kids are the one's who elect their officers. I am only bragging because of all the negative things I've read on here about homeschooling.

    And my daughter not only learns from me, but she learns on her own, and she learns from others. Currently she works regularly with vets, participates in necropsies (animal autopsies), and so much more! Homeschooling is what you make it... Each child is a unique person with their own gifts to give the world.

    PS. We are white, however my daughter's amazing mentor, who my daughter absolutely adores, idolizes, and who is also a vet, is a black woman. All the kids in our girl scout troop are white, however my daughter is the only white person in her 4-H club (the other kids are hispanic, black, etc.). Most of my daughter's friends are in public or private school. My daughter's best friend is a "typical" kid who is awesome, who is a 4.6 GPA student who loves animals just like my kid.

    My daughter has taught me so much about life, love and even academics. I wouldn't trade her for any kid in the world. Wishing you open mindedness and acceptance of others, even if they are different. How boring the world would be if we were all the same. :)
    jocase's Avatar
    jocase Posts: 18, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #7

    Oct 3, 2005, 11:04 PM
    Homeschoolin reply to last post.
    "WOW! I am surprised to read all the "negatives" of home schooling. Are people really that closed minded, and do people really believe this?"

    Notice that the original post asked for the "negatives" of home schooling.

    I responded by discussing the difficulties faced in this type of education.
    sarah_x's Avatar
    sarah_x Posts: 10, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #8

    Oct 18, 2005, 01:27 PM
    I am homeschooled and find no disadvantages except for maybe the social advantages school gives you
    CaptainForest's Avatar
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member
     
    #9

    Nov 25, 2005, 02:47 PM
    sarah_x - what do you do to correct for the social situation? Like how do you solve the problem of the social advantage that a school offers you?
    jocase's Avatar
    jocase Posts: 18, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #10

    Nov 26, 2005, 12:51 AM
    Homeschooling Social Interaction
    The way I have seen people address the problem of providing sufficient social interaction for the home schooled is to band together and plan activities.
    I don't know exactly how they contact each other, but they do.
    Of course, if a person lives in a sparsely populated area, this may not be possible.

    It is considerable work to make this happen, and one has to really believe in home schooling to accomplish this.
    roxpate's Avatar
    roxpate Posts: 11, Reputation: 2
    New Member
     
    #11

    Jan 18, 2006, 12:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jocase
    It depends...
    If a parent tries to home-school a child without any connection with a school, there are several disadvantages:

    Curriculum is not in line with what children are expected to know
    Textbooks are not easily available
    standardized testing is not available
    The child tend to spend more time on subjects that he/she likes and does not tackle the weak spots
    Unless the parent is connected with social and athletic activities in the community, the child does not develop these aspects.

    If, however the parent has the child enrolled in an "independent study" program, the have access to textbooks, testing, and curriculum consistent with a grade level expected in their state.

    The major flaw I see is that the parent gets to a point, usually Jr. high age where math and science are beyond their ability to teach. As the child gets older, it is more difficult to put them in a school setting.

    I would appreciate some feedback as I am new to this board. Thanks!

    John
    I have to say I disagree on a lot of things you brought up.Homeschoolers are still alowwed to play ball in the county.I do understand when the parent gets to the point they can`t teach them anymore butnow you can homeschool via satalite through Bb Jones,Switched on schoolhouse has computer programs (both have teachers that teach you)The satalite one,it puts the child in a classroom settingand it like your child is sitting in the back of the class.Everyone says it social but we have group co-ops with other homeschooling families all the time.(&parties)Besides when kids get out in the real world,they will need to socialize with all ages not just people their own age.Homeschooling has been the most fulfilling thing in my life.To be honest I can`t see many disadvantages at all.Imean I know what she is taught and I disagree in what the school system teach.Evolution?haThey are teaching this as a fact and that is totally false.Our English and math are in line with what the schools teach.So are the other subjects except,we have scripture in ours,and our books explain stuff like in different animals as they become mothers, God made each of their milk different to accomidate with each ones needs.Baby sea lions get milk that are high in fat so they can grow a blubber blanket to protect them from the icy seas and baby camels get milk that is high in water the ingredient they need most in their hot,dry environment.I BELIEVE WHEN SOMEONE Disagrees about homeschooling sometimes its just a lack of understanding.My friend was homeschooling before me and I said I`d never homeschool but guess what? Jesus was laughing and 2 weeks later WHAM! I WAS LIKE OH NO but you know God and he`s bigger than me so now I homeschool one of my daughters I love it! She needed more one on one.and some things we have to work on longer(where the school system has to move along even if they don`t understand it) Besides really public school is the new one-people used to homeschool all the time because they couldn`t get to schools.I wish we could go back to the old days.God Bless,Roxanne.
    roxpate's Avatar
    roxpate Posts: 11, Reputation: 2
    New Member
     
    #12

    Jan 18, 2006, 12:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by eawoodall
    home schoolers would never pretend that they are sending in a 'letter to the editor' that is not about something they themselves actively care about. If a homeschooler sent a letter to the editor it would be to complain about an issue that matters to them personally, and not a "made up" letter. secondly does your class also have people making up letters praising advantages of home schooling, or is this merely a campaign by your school or teacher to send such a flood of letters to a actual editor that one of them makes it into the paper, in which case they are not doing education at all, but instead merely proselytize into their religion of worshiping 'not home schooling' public education.
    Sad that teachers make religious converts but no other religions are allowed.

    more disadvantages for home schoolers:
    home schoolers get higher scores on academic tests.
    home schoolers must have learned how to think for themselves.
    home schoolers get higher scores on college admission tests.
    home schoolers have lower teacher to student ratios.
    home schoolers spend more quality time with parents.
    home schoolers spend less travel time to and from school.
    home schoolers can spend more time on the education skills.
    home schoolers have closer contact with education administration.
    home schoolers cost less to transport to and from school each day.

    you might ask why are those things disadvantages? because the educational community at public schools 'thinks' they are disadvantages.

    You see it is the insanity of the educational community that causes such stupidity as any resistance to home schooling in the first place, because everyone should be home schooled, only then can we actually get the equal playing field that all children should have. only then can it be determined who is better for what job, and who should do greater things. the problem is the people who run education have the lowest grade point averages of all students at college! anyone in any other field or major is smarter than them!
    BRAVO!! Well said! RoxPate
    roxpate's Avatar
    roxpate Posts: 11, Reputation: 2
    New Member
     
    #13

    Jan 18, 2006, 12:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by whalesntigers
    WOW! I am surprised to read all the "negatives" of home schooling. Are people really that closed minded, and do people really believe this? I would think one would research something before posting on the subject. I am a newbie, and this is my first post. My daughter is 14 years old, and I have homeschooled her for most of her life. I home school my daughter because I have not been able to find a school that can meet her needs. My daughter has autism, however she is very high functioning, and she tests out as gifted.

    I actually put my daughter in an intergrated public school program for 2 months when she was in kindegarten, however the teacher expected her to sit still and learn a letter (of the alphabet) each week, even though she was already reading middle school books. My daughter's teacher punished my daughter when she displayed appropriate coping skills that her psychologist taught her. Her teacher did a great job of crushing her self esteem. I homeschooled my daughter the rest of the year, and we tried again the following year. This time my daughter tried a private school. There were only 10 typical kids in the class of 2nd and 3rd graders. My daughter skipped 1st grade and was put in this class. She made 100% on all her 3rd grade work, but again was only in that school for a few months. The kids teased her and when she said "sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me", the kids picked up rocks and sticks and threw them at my daughter. During Christmas break, the school got a new slide. My daughter loved the new slide. When the kids went down the slide, their shoes left black marks on the slide... My daughter loved to spend 2 hours each day picking these marks off. I could not allow my daughter to be engaged in this behavior for 2 hours each day, (not to mention tormented by the kids), so I once again took her out of school. I have homeschooled my daughter ever since.

    Regarding social skills..... what kinds of social skills would she have gotten in school? Her self esteem was crushed from school. Through homeschool, I am able to teach my daughter not only the academics, but also social skills. When we are with other children and she is inappropriate, I am there to see what happens, and talk about how she could have handled the situation differently. My daughter will always have social deficits, but I know in my heart she never could have come as far as she has if she were dumped in school all day to be made fun of. And by the way, my daughter has been a girl scout for 8 years, and also in 4-H for 6 years. Oh, and did I mention that this is my daughter's 2nd year as President of her 4-H club? The kids are the one's who elect their officers. I am only bragging because of all the negative things I've read on here about homeschooling.

    And my daughter not only learns from me, but she learns on her own, and she learns from others. Currently she works regularly with vets, participates in necropsies (animal autopsies), and so much more! Homeschooling is what you make it..... Each child is a unique person with their own gifts to give the world.

    PS. We are white, however my daughter's amazing mentor, who my daughter absolutely adores, idolizes, and who is also a vet, is a black woman. All the kids in our girl scout troop are white, however my daughter is the only white person in her 4-H club (the other kids are hispanic, black, etc.). Most of my daughter's friends are in public or private school. My daughter's best friend is a "typical" kid who is awesome, who is a 4.6 GPA student who loves animals just like my kid.

    My daughter has taught me so much about life, love and even academics. I wouldn't trade her for any kid in the world. Wishing you open mindedness and acceptance of others, even if they are different. How boring the world would be if we were all the same. :)
    That was precious!I`d love to talk with you sometime about some of the different hands activities you`ve done and other ideas? God Bless! RoxPate.
    bizygurl's Avatar
    bizygurl Posts: 522, Reputation: 110
    Senior Member
     
    #14

    Jan 18, 2006, 07:10 AM
    I was homeschooled for a year and learned A Lot. But I was the type of learner as a kid who did better with one on one teaching. And I really benefitted from it. The only reason my mom couldn't continue with it was that she had to return to working because of financial reasons. As far as social problems occurring from it, I didn't have a problem socially going back to school the following year. But I was only homeschooled for one year (4th grade) and had been in a public school before. So my expirence may not be too accurate where social problems are concerned.But I will say my mom did have social get togethers with other homeschool kids and there parents a few times a week which I think helped keep me around other kids through that year. It really isn't as bad as some people make it seem to be.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,302, Reputation: 7692
    Expert
     
    #15

    Jan 18, 2006, 09:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by eawoodall
    home schoolers would never pretend that they are sending in a 'letter to the editor' that is not about something they themselves actively care about. If a homeschooler sent a letter to the editor it would be to complain about an issue that matters to them personally, and not a "made up" letter. secondly does your class also have people making up letters praising advantages of home schooling, or is this merely a campaign by your school or teacher to send such a flood of letters to a actual editor that one of them makes it into the paper, in which case they are not doing education at all, but instead merely proselytize into their religion of worshiping 'not home schooling' public education.
    Sad that teachers make religious converts but no other religions are allowed.

    more disadvantages for home schoolers:
    home schoolers get higher scores on academic tests.
    home schoolers must have learned how to think for themselves.
    home schoolers get higher scores on college admission tests.
    home schoolers have lower teacher to student ratios.
    home schoolers spend more quality time with parents.
    home schoolers spend less travel time to and from school.
    home schoolers can spend more time on the education skills.
    home schoolers have closer contact with education administration.
    home schoolers cost less to transport to and from school each day.

    you might ask why are those things disadvantages? because the educational community at public schools 'thinks' they are disadvantages.

    You see it is the insanity of the educational community that causes such stupidity as any resistance to home schooling in the first place, because everyone should be home schooled, only then can we actually get the equal playing field that all children should have. only then can it be determined who is better for what job, and who should do greater things. the problem is the people who run education have the lowest grade point averages of all students at college! anyone in any other field or major is smarter than them!

    There is no disadvantage is done properly, the only disadvantage is if and when it is not done properly. Socialization and some areas of expertise are always issues if not addressed.

    First homeschooling should look into the dozens of home schooling associations and networks that provide everything from standarise testing and text books and actually include the intire course work.
    Many have various meetings of members. In Atlanta for example there is a program that brings the kids together one day a week for group activities.

    You have to watch out for the arts, music lessons, dance lessons and the such can add to a program.

    What they do miss in many public schools is the chance to learn who to tell if another student has a gun, how to run from a fight, how to get into a fight and all the proper gang signs.

    Upon looking at the public school system in Atlanta for example, even people working within the system, told us if we could possibly put our child into private school we should. We actually moved so our child would not be in their school district.

    I would first before checking into school system with some of the great home schooling groups, they can give you good info on proper contact methods, legality issues and things like that
    gtrudeau's Avatar
    gtrudeau Posts: 1, Reputation: 2
    New Member
     
    #16

    Jan 18, 2006, 10:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dimples
    I am not for homeschooling. For one, interaction with other kids is vital for the formation & growth of a character in a child. Let her experience what we have experienced. Best friends, crushes, long lines in the school canteen. A child who has a restricted environment tend not to adjust well in the big, bad world. Secondly, there is always procastination. When you have no deadlines or no competition, there is less determination to make good.
    I am a homeschooling father. Why is public school necessary to have best friends or crushes? How do long lines at the school canteen aid in character development?

    Guy
    CaptainForest's Avatar
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member
     
    #17

    Jan 18, 2006, 10:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gtrudeau
    I am a homeschooling father. Why is public school necessary to have best friends or crushes? How do long lines at the school canteen aid in character development?

    Guy
    A school canteen is like what, a cafeteria? In which case, why would your child be using such a lineup.

    It is much healthier and cheaper for the child to bring a lunch to school instead of buying some unhealthy food from the cafeteria.

    And I see nothing wrong with homeschooling provided the parent makes sure that the child is developing good social interaction as well.
    jocase's Avatar
    jocase Posts: 18, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #18

    Jan 18, 2006, 10:47 AM
    Homeschooling
    Thanks for your reply.
    My remarks are from a personal knowledge of homeschooling plus a 37 year career as a teacher and administrator and high school counselor in public schools in California.

    My point was that anyone who is considering homeschooling should inquire about joining an independent study program. In California, there are schools that cater only to homeschoolers and provide books and testing to the parent. The parent may supplement with religious or other types of instruction.

    I am not against homeschooling. One of my daughters home schools her three children. She has solved the social part. She see the connection she has with a homeschooling learning center (free) as a plus.

    Another daughter works for a homeschooling learning center.
    So you see that I have spent my life in assisting children to learn, and I am not just giving my opinion based on "thin air'.

    I am not against homeschooling; it is just not for everyone, just as the public schools are not for everyone.

    John
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,302, Reputation: 7692
    Expert
     
    #19

    Jan 18, 2006, 11:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jocase
    Thanks for your reply.
    My remarks are from a personal knowledge of homeschooling plus a 37 year career as a teacher and administrator and high school counselor in public schools in California.

    My point was that anyone who is considering homeschooling should inquire about joining an independent study program. In California, there are schools that cater only to homeschoolers and provide books and testing to the parent. The parent may supplement with religious or other types of instruction.

    I am not against homeschooling. One of my daughters home schools her three children. She has solved the social part. She see the connection she has with a homeschooling learning center (free) as a plus.

    Another daughter works for a homeschooling learning center.
    So you see that I have spent my life in assisting children to learn, and I am not just giving my opinion based on "thin air'.

    I am not against homeschooling; it is just not for everyone, just as the public schools are not for everyone.

    John
    Very true, there are many great organizations for home school people, many are religious based some are not. There are even private religious schools that don't cost much more than day care. We found two in our area that would not cost us any more for the elementry grades than does their current pre-school ( day care costs).

    But not everyone can home school, one parent will have to be home during the day and then "both Parents" will have to give into the schooling. It will take the FIRST position of the day and the parents time. And then the parents have to have the ability to do the training.
    MOMKNOWWHAT's Avatar
    MOMKNOWWHAT Posts: 5, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #20

    Feb 1, 2006, 01:34 PM
    I respectfully disagree with the negatives about homeschooled children and socialization. If acquainting them with ridicule, rejection, physical threats and the rigors of the pecking order is necessary to socialize our children, then I would recommend to keep them unsocialize for a little longer. I speak from experience. I have been on the playgrounds and have worked in the public school classrooms.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

 

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.


Check out some similar questions!

Homeschooling [ 1 Answers ]

I am writing a paper for my college english class on the adantages and disadvantages of homeschooling. I was homeschooled and also attended some public school. I would like responses from people who have been homeschooled not people who only have an opinion on the topic Thanks

Homeschooling a k student [ 2 Answers ]

I have taken my son out of the public school and desided to homeschool wich books and where would I go to get them are the best?:o


View more questions Search