Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harber32 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2007, 02:07 PM
    Charitable Contributions
    I'm a church treasurer. A member has given a check for $10,000 for a building fund campaign and wants us to send him a receipt for $5,000 in 2007 and $5,000 in 2008. The donor obviously wants to take $5,000 for tax purposes in each of the two years. While I could set it up this way on the church records, I am thinking that the IRS would not allow this. Am I correct in this assumption?
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Aug 14, 2007, 07:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by harber32
    I'm a church treasurer. A member has given a check for $10,000 for a building fund campaign and wants us to send him a receipt for $5,000 in 2007 and $5,000 in 2008. The donor obviously wants to take $5,000 for tax purposes in each of the two years. While I could set it up this way on the church records, I am thinking that the IRS would not allow this. Am I correct in this assumption?
    It does not seem to reflect the reality of the situation and it does not seem ethical to me.

Why doesn't he just donate $5,000 and promise the additional $5,000 for 2008?
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2007, 11:06 PM
    The IRS deems charitable contributions to be made on a cash basis, not accrual. Your receipt should be for $10,000 for the year in which he made the donation.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 15, 2007, 10:59 AM
    Agree with TTE.

In fact, In my opinion, it is not only unethical but in fact illegal and may constitute aiding and abedding tax fraud.

Contact the donor and discuss him giving a $5,000 immediately (for 2007), then write a second $5,000 check the first Sunday in January 2008. Then all the legal niceties are met.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Charitable contributions of my dependents [ 3 Answers ]

My son who is a full time student and is 22 year sold lives with us and we claim him as a deoendent on our taxes. Last year he paid $2000 in charitable contributions which he was not able to deduct since he filed short form. Can I claim his charitable deduction on my taxes?

Large Amounts of Charitable Donations [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to help a friend who donated large amounts of small dollar value items to an animal shelter last year. Some were dollar store items, some were larger items like food, medical supplies & small cost equipment. The total value (based on her purchase price) totaled over $6000. How do I...

Charitable donation [ 2 Answers ]

This one may be splitting hairs but I thought I would ask. I know you can't contribute your time and take a charitable deduction. But lets say your time involves producing a tangible product. For example, lets say you are a software developer. You develop an application that you deem worth...

Would this be considered a charitable gift [ 11 Answers ]

My wife and I would like to donate our time and effort to our church to design, implement, and setup hosting for a church website. We do websites for paying customers as well through our business entity but this year (2007) we will not be conducting as a business. Is this something we can...

Charitable Contributions [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Gospel Music Band. I have not applied for non-profit status although the real income is much less the $10,000 a year. An individual has expressed a desire to donate a Bus for us to travel in, however, they would like to write it off as a donation to this ministry. Is this possible?

View more questions Search