Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jslachta Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2007, 06:00 AM
    Tenants Who Won't Move Out!
    I have a family with 2 children whose lease has ended and who have non-renewed. The problem is, they won't leave the unit!

What is my next step? Do I have to go through the eviction process or can I just call the Sheriff to have them assist?

Thanks!
    Jill
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2007, 06:08 AM
    Are they still paying rent?
    Now that there is no lease - you can give them 30 days written notice to vacate (or whatever the lease did say). If they are not gone by 30 days - don't accept the rent and then go through the eviction process.

Aug 14, 2007, 06:12 AM
    They haven't paid for this month yet and have some outstanding late fees and utility bills.
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2007, 06:14 AM
    Then, if you want them out, start eviction proceedings. It stinks with kids involved - but what can you do?

Aug 14, 2007, 06:17 AM
    It's so frustrating! Thanks for your help
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2007, 06:25 AM
    I know - it makes you think twice about renting out your property. Is it worth the possible headache?

You just have to do what you have to do. You could always put a "for rent" sign in the yard - they may get the hint. :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 14, 2007, 06:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jslachta
    it's so frustrating! thanks for your help
    I agree its frustrating. In a perfect world, tenants would pay on time without reminder. They would care for the rental property as if they owned it.

But we don't live in a perfect world. When you chose to become a landlord, you had to realize that there would be tenants like this. If you can't deal with such a situation then you shouldn't be a landlord.

There is no need to formally renew a lease. It is understood that once the lease expires, it goes on a month to month basis unless either the landlord or tenant choose to terminate the rental. So, if they did not tell you they were moving out at the end of the original lease period and you did not tell them (with sufficient notice) you wanted them out, then they are considered month to month tenants. Under this condition all the terms of the original lease continue to apply except for the expiration date and the rental amount. You can inform them (again with at least on rental period notice) of a raise in the rent.

Now, if they are not paying and you want them out, you have to give them notice of at least one rental period to vacate. So that is your first step. If they have not vacated by that point, then you have to start formal eviction proceedings.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can tenants who are not on the lease be held responsible for cleaning when they move [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Washington State. I moved in with a woman and her family at thr end of last November. I have since transferred all of the utilities into my name and began paying all of the bills including the full amount of the rent. Her 1-yr lease expired in February at which time the landlord asked...

Too many tenants [ 1 Answers ]

I have rented an apartment in my home to a single women for about 3 years. She has paid her rent on time one time. She is a nice women but has had numerous family members move in temporary (less than 6 months at a time). Recently her daughter and granddaughter has been staying with her when we...

Tenants won't move out [ 4 Answers ]

I am the landlord of a house where renters moved in on August 1st of 2005. I had spoken to them in early July and they voiced their intention to stay until May- a 9 month lease. Their lease ended on July 31st, at which time they left town for the entire month to avoid resigning. When I was finally...

Tenants won't move [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, my question is I sold my home the closing is in a week I am ready to move but my tenants won't they think the new owner will let them stay. I believe the new owner is going to gut the house. I told them in march I was sellling I also gave them a letter aug 11th of this year that they have to be...

To move or not to move - Tub Drain [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, I am installing a 72" soaker tub into a properly roughed in basement bathroom. The soaker tub's drain is not in the traditional spot and is positioned in the middle of the length of the bath. I have a 2" snub up located about 24-30" from where my tub drain will sit. Do I have to cut up...

View more questions Search