Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    guey Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2007, 12:35 PM
    What are my rights as a renter on an Apt. being foreclosed?
    I currently am renting an apartment in Miami. Last week I received a notice that the property is being foreclosed. My lease ends December 5th, but I have already paid for August, last month (November), and a security deposit (Equal to one month's rent). What are my rights? Should I stop paying rent? Will I get my money back? Please help.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2007, 08:20 AM
    Hello guey:

Who did you receive notice from and what did it say? Did it mention a date:

excon
    guey Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2007, 03:11 PM
    I received a note on my door from "Subpoena Service Unit Court Services" with a telephone number and a case #. I called the number and they told me I needed to be served with some papers even though I am only a tenant. They said I should contact another person, which I haven't been able to get a hold of.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2007, 03:15 PM
    Hello again, guey:

You aren't part of the legal process. I'd be talking to my landlord, not the court. He's the one who's going to owe you the money. If the house gets foreclosed upon, you will be put out. I don't think I'd be writing another check until I got some answers.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 13, 2007, 06:38 PM
    Yes, once the property is forclosed on, your lease terminates, so if they foreclose on the property next month, it is possible you will have to move.

And to be honest, if the landlord is losing the building, it is very likely he will not have the money to pay your deposit back or anything. But this is just a guess.
    mcablitz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2007, 04:20 PM
    I received the same notice. I know my landlord hasn't been paying. What ever came of this and how long was it from when you got the notice till when you were evicted by the bank?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pre-foreclosure on rental property. What are my rights as renter? [ 3 Answers ]

I have been renting this home for the past 3 years and have always paid rent on time to the homeowner. I recently received a notice that the property will be in foreclosure if the owner does not bring her mortgage up to date by the end of this month. The owner denies that the home is about to be...

Owners rights after home being foreclosed on in VA [ 5 Answers ]

My best friend recently went through a divorce and moved out of her previous home. She signed a "quit claim" to the husband for the property. Her exhusband lived there, but the property was foreclosed on. The new owner gave them (she and her exhusband) 2 days to collect their property from the...

Renter rights [ 2 Answers ]

Do you have to pay for the unit down stair stuff if it get wet because something is leaking in our bathroom and going throw the floor and throw her sealing but the landord can find what leaking from our bathroom and we never let water go on the floor.. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:...

Rights to tennants living in an apt building for a long time [ 4 Answers ]

I have A question my mom has lived in her building for over 18 years.. can her rent change.and should she be signing a lease.. shes.paid the same amount.new owner raised her rent up 50 dollars.then a new guy is managing the building.and raised another 20 dollars.she was paying rent and...

Foreclosed Landlord.my rights [ 4 Answers ]

I'm leasing a condo in the state of Texas from someone that owns two at my property. The HOA has indicated to me that my landlord has not paid his HOA fees in months, and one of his properties has been foreclosed upon. They've asked me to pay my rent to them under the auspices that their...

View more questions Search