Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeremy4719 Posts: 136, Reputation: 4

Aug 11, 2007, 09:29 PM
    Should I go on cruise with VERY RECENT EX?
    As most of you know, my fiancé and I broke up and ended our relationship and engagement... This being said, we are supposed to go on a 5 day cruise on the 24th of this month... Should I go and just be civil with her and do things separate and on my own, or should I just toss away the money ($400 no refund possible)? She said that we could still both go and do our own things, but we'd have to stay in the same room in separate beds... I don't hate her or anything like that, but I do and will for sometime have an emotional hard time being around her... What would you all suggest? This is a huge ship with like 2500 people on board...
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 11, 2007, 09:56 PM
    Can she find a female relative or friend to go on the cruise with her--someone who will pay you all or much of the $400? (Reducing the amount might sweeten the deal since you are in a time crunch.)

Even if you lose the $400, I vote don't go.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 12, 2007, 06:42 AM
    Why not ? Could you still have a good time? Heck you may even make up with the ex on the trip
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2007, 06:51 AM
    I'd suggest one of two things ; either a.) go alone (and eat the cost of the other passenger) or b.) get someone else to accompany you. Based on your other thread I wouldn't take my ex along on this cruise.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Aug 12, 2007, 06:52 AM
    This day and age, throwing money out the window is not an option.

You should benefit from this long-awaited vacation no matter what.

If you can keep your distance and can handle her attitude toward relationships in general, go. As you said, that boat is big.

Maybe she will open up to you as a 'friend' and let you know what her problem is. It is her problem, not yours so you should enjoy as much as possible.

Again, enjoy your trip.

nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2007, 07:58 AM
    She is using you so she only has to pay 50%.

It's up to you, but if I were you, I 'd feel uncomfortable to do that.

But you can problly go since it's a 2500 board ship you might meet someone else...

My question is... how comfortable will you be if you meet someone while your ex is with you? ;)
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 12, 2007, 08:06 AM
    Why put yourself or her through the drama of seeing you have fun with others and have to sleep in the same room?? This is awkward and has the recipe for emotional disaster. Is it worth it?? Not to me. Sell your share if you can.

Aug 12, 2007, 01:55 PM
    Thanks for everyone's thoughts on this... I've not yet decided... But I am starting to lean towards not going... The fact that my heart loves her, but the mind knows its over, is where I think I would have a problem... I am an emotional guy... I think even though it might be for the best that we broke up, I would still start crying or something every time I was near her... That probably wouldn't make too good of a vacation... BUT on the other hand, it is a big boat and I could spend the day doing whatever I want on this ship (without her)... Then again, I'd be thinking what is she doing? Where is she at? DAMN IT ALL!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 12, 2007, 02:18 PM
    Look dude, if you paid for it, you should go, hel! It's your money right? She doesn't have to go. Have yourself a good time, meet people, get out. This would be a wonderful healing opportunity for you.

Ya never know, you might just meet Mrs. Right. You got a buddy who would like to go with you? Make it a bachelor's vacation.
    SAB123 Posts: 685, Reputation: 94

Aug 13, 2007, 06:38 AM
    If you are not completely healed I would not go. I believe you would take major steps backward by hanging out with her for 5 days. Why put yourself through that. Plus I would not have any more contact with her until you are healed.
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2007, 06:50 AM
    I can see this getting REALLY messy. Large boat + lots of other people + alcohol = HUGE fights between recently ended couple.

Either she goes with a girlfriend who pays for your ticket or you go with someone else and have them buy her ticket. I would not go with her. If someone buys your ticket then plan a vacation with some buddies and go raise a little hell.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Aug 14, 2007, 06:19 AM
    J_9 and Glinda have both very sound thoughts and advice.

Give separate vacations a thought - as long as you don't lose out financially.

Aug 16, 2007, 04:28 PM
    This cruise was booked (non refundable) for the two of us... We will be in the same small room with two small twin beds... She is going, I now am still deciding whether I should go or not... I hate the fact that I would have to see her and would likely get emotional or start blaming myself or her for the failed relationship... Not saying I couldn't have a good time, but it would be all akward at the end of the night... ugh... There is no way to change rooms, refund, or anything, I've already checked... I would have to essentially pay for it all over again to get a separate room... haha!
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 04:47 PM
    What about her having a friend buy your ticket?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2007, 07:10 PM
    Sometimes it's hard to transfer passenger tickets at the last minute. If you must go with her, then just go and have a good time doing your own thing. There'll be plenty of single women on board I'm sure. Don't even worry about "the end of the night." The only thing you're going to do in your cabin is sleep (literally) and change your clothes. If you happen to meet a young lady and hit it off and must take her back to your cabin, then don't worry about it and just do it. If your "roommate" walks in on you, then it's her embarrassment, in more ways than one.

Aug 17, 2007, 12:26 AM
    This was my frickin' fiancé... I'm not going to "take her back to my room" if I meet someone... I hate this... I hate the feeling of loving someone you probably won't work with, but yet you love them still...
    mckenzie134 Posts: 647, Reputation: 67

Aug 17, 2007, 01:26 AM
    What if she brings a guy back to your room and he starts giving it to her and she starts moaning how would you hande that??
    mckenzie134 Posts: 647, Reputation: 67

Aug 17, 2007, 01:27 AM
    I still think you should go and avoid her and you neverknow she mnight try and come on to you and the relationship might kick back on. Tis could be an opportunity for yo to sow her that your moving on. Stay out late lether stay in the cabin on her own maybe wonder what your doing...
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 17, 2007, 05:42 AM
    Forget the money, your broken up and need time to yourself without pressure from her presence, to get over her, or whether you are going to compromise and build a life together. According to ALL your other posts you had one foot out the door in the first place. You've already had the choice to let things ride till after this cruise, so now bite the bullet and figure your next move.
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2007, 06:16 AM
    The more and more I think about this I think its best for you to eat the ticket.

I really just feel this would be insanely messy and bad, bad, bad, bad. I think the neither of you will have a good time and I could see her trying to make you want her back by carrying on with every single guy on the boat and even bringing guys back to the room just to push your buttons.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Going on cruise while on probation [ 5 Answers ]

I was just wondering can you go on a cruise while you are on pobation.My husband got pulled over for a dui and he is on probation for 3 years.It is over January of 2009 and we are suppose to go August of 2008.Do you think he could go.

Cruise weddings [ 5 Answers ]

My hunny and I are thinking about getting married while on a cruise. My family has never been anywhere outside the US aside from Canada, and my parents are getting up in years. I want them to experience the Caribbean and a cruise. The only way to get the family together on one is to plan something...

Can we cruise Alaska [ 3 Answers ]

My husband has a felony. We would like to cruise to Alaska but, are not sure if we can get into Canada to board the cruise ship and even just in cruising we would be in Canadian territory so, do you know if we can even go on an Alaskian cruise?

One way cruise ticket [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for a cruise ship that will accept a passenger ONE WAY, to Puerto Rico. I am not that interested in a cargo ship (but can't find one anyway), but want to go one way from NYC to P.R. since I will be staying there for good and do not plan on returning. Would it create a problem to book...

View more questions Search